Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just beans  (Read 940 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Just beans
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
Kind of "charro beans went to Santa Maria." Except Anasazi beans. Which end up tasting a whole lot like pinto beans, but look cool and cost more.

This was on Friday, and the start of five days off through the Fourth. It is nice to have a pot of beans to snack on when you are home at the house just doing time off kind of things.

Started with four Weber briquettes in a mini-chimney. The price at HD for the Weber briquettes went down to 14-something so I thought to try them out. They worked very well, burning pretty hot and pretty long in a non-scientific use.

Bacon cooked first, just set into the top of the basket. I did throw a handful of lump fragments on top of the briquettes to bump the heat up for the bacon/onion/garlic portion of the cook.

My sous chef, "Ivory", is handing me the ingredients.

Then pull the bacon, leave the bacon grease and cook the onion and garlic.

And then the rest of the stuff goes into the pot. Anasazi beans, ham, crushed tomato, salt, pepper, ground guajillo, ground cascabel (not much), cumin. Bacon back in. The remainder of the charcoal basket is filled with unlit charcoal. Finish cooking in the basement of my little 18 with the lid on.

The beans went in dry, which you can cook in a couple of hours at a steady simmer with the lid on the pot, but this cook was slow. I wanted to cook very low and slow so that the ham was broken down and the beans had the texture of red beans and rice. That took about four hours. The lid was off the pot for the first two. The Weber briquettes I thought did very well, I counted 18 used, plus the little bit of lump shards used at the beginning.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Just beans
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:35:39 AM »
Looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Just beans
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:36:05 AM »
Looking good.  Cool looking recipe.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Just beans
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing that recipe, Jon. Enjoy your time off.
I like how you used so few coals. It really goes to show how a little can go along way some cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk