Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Touch Up Question  (Read 1183 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Touch Up Question
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
So my brother, @Bob BQ  was telling me that some people are using black high heat spraypaint on the cleaned up rust spots/rim rash of their kettles to help prevent further rusting.  I just picked up a dark green N code econokettle and was thinking about doing that, using this because it is pretty close to a match.  Only problem is that it is only good up to 500 degrees.  Think it will be ok?  If I got something that can handle higher heats and then painted over that, with this, would it work?

https://oreillyauto.com/detail/dupli-color-engine-enamel-with-ceramic-3403/chemicals---fluids-16461/paint---body-repair-16614/paint---engine-enamel-17771/engine-spray-paint/de1644/4268558?brand=true
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Cellar2ful

Re: Touch Up Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »

As suggested by others on this Forum, after cleaning with with steel wool, I have just rubbed some olive oil or bacon fat into the cleaned exposed metal. Once applied, I have not had any rust re-appear. That has been over two years now since it was applied on my cooker.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »
Check out Autozone. They carry quite a few caliper paint colors, which are good to 900deg. One thing I will say is to buy a slightly lighter color than kettle is, rather than darker than. It will darken a little with heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Touch Up Question
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
You can get 1200* paint; I've only seen it in black.   

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
All good suggestions. I think Jim's (@Cellar2ful) advice is pretty standard...steel wool/sand and use a plant/animal oil as a rust preventative.

Some have used high temperature epoxy along with high temperature paint as a successful 1-2 repair. However, most often...these trials have been with black Weber's. YMMV with other colors. Most evidence suggests...not trying to "touch up" with any kind of paint.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:48:16 AM »
Never used these before, but my plan is to try this combo on my green.

The second one comes in a dark green. From what I've read, you need to follow the cu I got process on the instructions. No idea how long it will hold up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"