Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fluid or Not  (Read 2786 times)

ryno5000

• Smokey Joe
Fluid or Not
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
Does anyone here use charcoal fluid? I use a chimney starter but still give it a shot of fluid if I'm in a hurry or if its a little rainy/snowing. I never taste fluid on my food. Recently I made a comment on the Weber fb page about using fluid and people kind of jumped on me..lol...I taught myself how to grill through much trial and error so my way may not be the best way. What is the consensus here? I really want to make sure I'm using the best method.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fluid or Not
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
The best method Is the one which works for you. I personally don't use it but I've been to cookouts where it was used. I noticed the difference but I don't think they let the coals ash over and the fluid burn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
I do not use it either , but then again when I grill I'm NEVER in a hurry !!!!! But yea man whatever works best for you. Chimneys do take time but it's worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
Chimney and starter cubes are the way to go. Lighter fluid. Is like riding a bicycle with training wheels!! IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
Fluid is fine as long as it is used properly.
There are certainly BETTER ways to light your charcoal ... but we chose our techniques and tactics based on personal preference, not herd mentality and cult snobbery.

I personally use chimneys and starter cubes, as it's the most time AND cost effective.
I keep a bottle of fluid around for fun, though. The smells of it burning brings back feelings of nostalgia, and that makes me smile.

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 04:46:01 PM »
Does anyone here use charcoal fluid? I use a chimney starter but still give it a shot of fluid if I'm in a hurry or if its a little rainy/snowing. I never taste fluid on my food. Recently I made a comment on the Weber fb page about using fluid and people kind of jumped on me..lol...I taught myself how to grill through much trial and error so my way may not be the best way. What is the consensus here? I really want to make sure I'm using the best method.

Hahah that was totally me that asked you what the deal was!! I didn't mean any harm, I was just curious as that is my nature of asking questions.  Too funny though :)

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Haven't used fluid for many many years.  I like the electric element starter but have used the chimney on  occasion (when power was out) Have eaten food off of a fluid started fire recently at a work function and the smell brought back memories but like previous poster said I don't think they let it burn off long enough. It may not have been so noticeable on beef or pork but I swear I could taste it on that chicken...

ryno5000

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »

Hahah that was totally me that asked you what the deal was!! I didn't mean any harm, I was just curious as that is my nature of asking questions.  Too funny though :)
Small world..lol..but you got me thinking. My last cook I made burgers and didn't use fluid. It did seem like it took about twice as long. I appreciate you asking me...How do you learn if nobody ever challenges you to think?

ryno5000

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »
Fluid is fine as long as it is used properly.
There are certainly BETTER ways to light your charcoal ... but we chose our techniques and tactics based on personal preference, not herd mentality and cult snobbery.

I personally use chimneys and starter cubes, as it's the most time AND cost effective.
I keep a bottle of fluid around for fun, though. The smells of it burning brings back feelings of nostalgia, and that makes me smile.
The smell does take me back to being a kid! I never thought of that but it's true.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
I like using a chimney over the side burner of my Genesis gasser, it gets them going pretty quickly.
Another trick that I tried when I was bored was to start the chimney with a cube and after a minute use a leaf blower (electric) to get the oxygen to the fire. That really got the coals going quickly and fully ashes within 3 or 4 mins. But only did it once for shits and giggles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Fluid or Not
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »
What Troy said. I quit using lighter fluid because I'm a cheap skate. If I'm in a hurry, I use my garage weber and get it going promptly with the aid of the air compressor. I find that more fun.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »
another possible method is put newspaper under your chimney. squirt some lighter fluid on the paper and pour charcoal into the chimney afterward and light

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 04:08:41 AM »
I just use my Harbor Fright torch for 2 to 3 minutes.... Done
                                                         Works every time, even the center of the pile.

Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 04:35:13 AM »
I don't use fluid because I don't like the taste it can leave if you don't completely burn it off but my other reason is better. I've been bbqing with my daughters since they were pretty small and I don't use fluid because I am concerned about the flammability. It's generally stored near the grill -logical, that's where you're using it!- and the whooshing flame it generally gives it pretty impressive. But used improperly or by "curious young hands" it is quite dangerous and frankly, my personal anxiety level couldn't handle worrying about my kids getting into it and hurting themselves.

I have damn near burned myself with it and I'm a grown ass woman who knows what she is doing. I didn't want my kids getting hurt too. I'm a worry wart. Not buying and using it was an easy decision for me.

Not saying it's bad! Just bad for me and honestly, I've never seen anyone set themselves in fire with a lighter cube.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 05:11:01 AM »
I never use fluid. When I'm at home, I use my weed burner. When I'm traveling, I use a Sterno can under my chimney.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.