Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Thermometer  (Read 1542 times)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Weber Thermometer
« on: June 10, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
This is photographic adventure into the unknown...

So crack a cold one and grab your headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0698sTH7mUk

Looks like a plain old themo...Im going to take it apart.

It has some dents on it down there by the knife point. I figured they were holding something in place, and they are.

The grinder comes out

Here you can see some really thin metal that I had to peel back, its actually a burr from the heat of grinding, so we can see inside this little tube. You can also see where the dents are located there is a solid hunk of something there.

The burr is mostly removed and the bi-metal coil, a bushing and shaft are exposed.

I have the tube opened up almost all the way to the back of the dial and the stem is feeling flimsy so I decided to focus on the dial for a while. On this part my goal was to take it apart and save the parts for future reference.

Got that o-ring out.

The glass is in there tight and after I got the dial opend up so far I couldent bend it anymore without chipping the glass.

After couple miutes of shards of glass flying everywhere I decided this aint working for me...

The glass is toast now. mthrfkr...

Got it all cleaned up.

Then shit went sideways.

The grinder made quick work of that mess.

Did you notice the needle still hasn't moved the whole time?

OH NOW IT MOVED!

The end.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »
nice

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
Cool! I love doing stuff like this to see what is inside. Now I know how the  bimetallic strip looks like inside the Weber thermos.  Thanks for the work.

Basically this explains how it works.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »
That is neat to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
loved this, thank you for taking the time to document and share!
the inside of a weber thermometer is kind of fascinating.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:27:25 AM »
Very interesting to see the internals. Also you ended up with a very clean cross section.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 06:25:06 AM »
In a couple days or so when I can hold on to the thermo again I'll get a dremel out and clean it up some more and try to remove the burrs between the dial and bezel etc. I'd like to wear down the brass bushing in the center of the dial so we all can see a little more clearly how it all fits together right there. After that I can show you all how to adjust the non-adjustable thermo.

I have one of these therms that I'v been using for 5+ years since I got it, and it was old and ugly when I first picked it up. The glass is stained with rust and the probe has been slightly bent a couple times at least. When it gets to 400* it stops for about 20* and jumps to the right number when it heats up enough. Ya its a POS but its accurate before & after 400-420* and it never has dead batterys or broken wires. Its waterproof like a submarine and Iv left it in the rain where mother nature flooded it 1000 times.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 04:25:38 AM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:57 AM »
I might buy a replacement and donate my old one to you for experiment. It's my least accurate at the moment. It runs anywhere from 125-175 degrees too hot. I thought maybe this style might be less accurate but it sounds like mine is just bad.

I completely agree. I hate dealing with batteries and electronic crap. My other lid therms are accurate enough. I do use a digital meat thermometer in thicker cuts but only the last hour or so of the cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »
I got plenty of these thermos to play with, theres one on every dead gasser at the scrap heap.

Personally I'll cook with no grill thermo before I feed one batteries or buy new probes for a gizmo. But I'm cheap...I mean REALLY CHEAP! That and I know how hot my grills going to be before I strike a match.

IMO the biggest problem with these thermometers is the needle dont point to the exact right number, so guys think its not accurate. But when you stick it in boiling water it always reads the same...every time, unless its IS broken.

I'll get some more pics together and show you how I adjust them.