Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Electric vs. Chimney starter  (Read 2638 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Electric vs. Chimney starter
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:20:09 PM »
I use an electric starter... any advantages with a chimney? Seems like most use chimneys, just wonder if I'm missing out on something.

stev

• WKC Brave
Re: Electric vs. Chimney starter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
I have an electric starter that I haven't used for 20+ years. Chimneys light up faster and cut down on electric use as well.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »
Whatever works for you. I've not tried anything but a chimney. Can you use an electric starter with a chimney?  I use a chimney as a measuring cup for coal so I'd be lost without it. Also I don't have an outlet in my grill area yet, so it would be inconvenient for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
I was wondering if they could be used together too, exactly for that reason, so i could keep the amount of coal consistent. Right now, i just sort of pile them up on the electric starter, yank it out when i see flames, then once almost all the coals are halfway ashed over, i spread them out.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
Never tried an electric starter. I use a Chimney with Weber Starter Cubes, the Gas Assist on my Performer, or a side burner on a gas grill.

BlueKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
Generally use chimney but have used a heat gun to start just a few charcoals to get a smoke going. Would be really interested to see someone make a chimeny with a port at the bottom specifically for a heat gun. I bet it'd absolutely roar.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:10:42 AM »
Generally use chimney but have used a heat gun to start just a few charcoals to get a smoke going. Would be really interested to see someone make a chimeny with a port at the bottom specifically for a heat gun. I bet it'd absolutely roar.

This (https://bbqdragon.com/chimney-2/) in combination with (https://bbqdragon.com/bbq-dragon/) really roars. Trust me :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxRmewhD8w

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
Chimney with a can of lit Sterno under it. Once it gets going, move the chimney aside and cap the Sterno can. Works wonderful.  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Frales

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »
Chimney with a can of lit Sterno under it. Once it gets going, move the chimney aside and cap the Sterno can. Works wonderful.  :)

I'm not familiar with a can of sterno, what is it?

Frales

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
Googled them! Seems like a great way to start your chimney then you don't have the paper ashes that tend to blow around if breezy. Tks for tip

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
I was wondering if they could be used together too, exactly for that reason, so i could keep the amount of coal consistent. Right now, i just sort of pile them up on the electric starter, yank it out when i see flames, then once almost all the coals are halfway ashed over, i spread them out.

I could not find the picture but a fellow posted a picture of that exact mod on the Facebook site Weber Kettle Fans.  He cut a slit in the chimney, just large enough to slide the electric element into the chimney.  Then he dumped the coals in and plugged it in. Once ignited, he pulls out the electric element. Said he has been using it that way for years. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 03:31:06 AM »
Googled them! Seems like a great way to start your chimney then you don't have the paper ashes that tend to blow around if breezy. Tks for tip

I never liked the newspaper gig. This is a great way to get your coals going, and you can reuse the can of Sterno.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Biff

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Sterno. I accidentally smoked out my neighbors starting a chimney with notebook paper recently. They complained thinking it was my other neighbor, doh!

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
I ended up trying the electric starter in a  chimney i picked up, worked pretty good. Only downside i could see would be not pulling it out soon enough and having a dripping plastic mess since the handle doesn't really protrude out of the chimney that far. I also picked up the cubes and they seem to work well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app