Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: High Temp - trouble  (Read 1595 times)

sunnyjim

• Smokey Joe
High Temp - trouble
« on: June 03, 2017, 04:45:09 AM »
Ok so I recently made the switch from my Weber gas grill to the kettle. I have had good success and tasty results but when it comes to grilling chicken or steaks or burgers and needing to get the temp up near 500 I've had trouble. Using KBB and Royal Oak charcoal it seems I get to 500 but once cooking it drops quick.  Cooks taking much too long. I use the Weber chimney and fill it to the top. Wait 20-25 mins to ash over and then start cooking. I keep the ash bucket clean and the grill clean. All vents open. Help. What am I doing wrong?  More Charcoal needed? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
High Temp - trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:08:02 AM »
Is this in a 22?  Sounds like maybe your letting your coals ash over too much before cooking. I usually dump the coals once I see flames come out if the top of chimney. This way while your cooking, the coals are just entering peak heat. If your dumping the coals completely ashes over, they might be heading in decline from the start. Just a guess. How are you arranging the coal?  How much food are you cooking at once?  These are both important factors as well.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: High Temp - trouble
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:50:38 AM »
Agree with HoosierKettle. Don't dump the chimney too late and let us know about your fuel setup. Charcoal baskets? Spread over the grate? Are you taking the meat direct from fridge to grill? Cold meat will be a huge heat sink and you will see the temp naturally drop when anything is put on. I don't let my protein get room temperature but I do set it on the counter before I start prepping the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

sunnyjim

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:07:39 AM »
Good questions. I started out using the baskets but went to just in the grate when I could get temp right. I set my meat out beforehand....beef for longer than chicken.   Perhaps I am letting the coals ash over too much.  I wondered why it was taking so long before they were "ready".  Most people say 15 mins for coals to ask (let them ash over grey is what I read most often). So I was waiting 25 mins. I'll try 15 and go back to the baskets.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »
My go to is the Gourmet Grill, center removed, and Vortex in the middle, skinny side up. And yes, what HoosierKettle said. Place the protein around the perimeter and have at it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »
But if you're not using the vortex...
I usually dump the whole chimney of coals on one side of the grill making a very hot side and a less hot side...

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
I don't generally cook that high unless it's pizza night....
That being said, I go with about a chimney and a half to get my 22 kettle to 500+ for a sustained time.
The baskets will over flow with that amount of charcoal though, so be aware of that- Good luck!

RobertBaron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
I use a Slow n Sear and the BBQ dragon to get super hot temps. Forgetting the BBQ Dragon for a minute, the Slow n Sear or really any other method that raises the charcoal closer to the grate raises the temp at the cooking level. Some use a Slow n Sear, others use different methods or contraptions like the vortex or hovergrill or even a couple of fire bricks to raise the level of banked of coals.

Also, are you closing the lid when you're cooking? Coming from a gas grill to charcoal this may be your first instinct. The Kettle fire gets hottest with the lid off, unlike a gasser.

I agree with others who've said to let the meat rise to room temp (or to a certain internal temp if reverse searing or the like) before putting it on the direct side of the grill. That will help a lot.

Finally if one were to gauge temps of fuel source it would go something like this: KBB (HOT) - RO Briquettes (HOT) - KBB Comp (HOTTER) - RO Lump (HOTTEST) - Straight Hardwood chunks or minilogs (SUPER DUPER HOTTEST). So maybe try Lump for hotter temps?

Using Lump with a SnS and BBQ Dragon makes me fearful I'm gonna damage my lil old kettle.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
   Cooks taking much too long. I use the Weber chimney and fill it to the top. 

How much time is TOO Much??  IMO whatever you are cooking "is-done-when-it's-done.