Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where To Place My Maverick?  (Read 2637 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
Where To Place My Maverick?
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:40:06 AM »
I have ordered a Gateway Hanging Rack for my WSM 18.5" "Classic" in order to cook some Ribs via the "hanging"System. My WSM is the old model that I bought new in the year 2008 that does not have a temperature gauge on the lid.

I will be placing the lit charcoal in the bottom charcoal ring and the WSM will be without any grilling racks or water pan, so, where is the best place on the WSM to attach my Maverick Temperature Gauge Probes short of hanging it through the holes on the top lid or attaching it to the hanging rack?

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
Re: Where To Place My Maverick?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:51:52 AM »

I attached mine to the rack, as shown at the bottom of the photo. Actually this was the fan probe from my Stoker but the intent was the same, to measure the cooking temperature.
The clip holding the probe came with the Stoker and is big enough to attach to the large diameter rod of the rack. It is made from a standard electrical clamp, so you could easily get a similar clamp and make a clip to attach a Maverick temperature probe the same way.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:09:41 PM by Dsorgnzd »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
With that coverd, I'd at least use a water pan as a heat deflector. Without it, you'd have some serious direct heat on the lower ends of those ribs.
Still need a 22” yellow

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »
With that coverd, I'd at least use a water pan as a heat deflector. Without it, you'd have some serious direct heat on the lower ends of those ribs.

Good point, however, when I do my first outing in BBQing via the "hanging system" I plan to keep the temperature between 275F-300F for around two(2) hours with some smoke wood;then, wrap-the-RIBS-up with some Apple juice and return the RIBS on the  WSM Grill Grate or inside oven until done.

My concern in starting this thread was to gather some information on how do I go about knowing the Temperature inside the WSM when I have no Thermometer on the Lid and no grill grates to attach my "Maverick" probe.

Thanx to all that have replied with your excellent points and recommendation.!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:24:48 AM by tibas92017 »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
Hang it with one if the meats.......wrap the lead wire around the meat hook a time or two & just let it hang / dangle next to the ribs.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
I will be receiving my Gateway Hanging Rack sometime next week, however, what other BBQ Tools should I acquire in order to have a pleasant "BBQ Hanging System" experience using my WSM 18.5" Classic?

I viewed the "Pit Barrel" Website in which they are selling a variety of BBQ Tools, i.e., hook removers, additional Hooks, gloves, etc.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
I will be receiving my Gateway Hanging Rack sometime next week, however, what other BBQ Tools should I acquire in order to have a pleasant "BBQ Hanging System" experience using my WSM 18.5" Classic?

I viewed the "Pit Barrel" Website in which they are selling a variety of BBQ Tools, i.e., hook removers, additional Hooks, gloves, etc.
I have only done it once so I am far from an expert. I have an old set of Ekco tongs that work great as a "hook remover" (and also as a handle for lifting the vertical poultry rack I use for cooking turkeys). Or you could make a tool from a piece of dowel and an eye bolt. The Gateway rack comes with 6 hooks, which should be enough to get started at least. No need, in my opinion, to buy more right away. Otherwise I don't think you will need anything you don't already have.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »

I have only done it once so I am far from an expert. I have an old set of Ekco tongs that work great as a "hook remover" (and also as a handle for lifting the vertical poultry rack I use for cooking turkeys). Or you could make a tool from a piece of dowel and an eye bolt. The Gateway rack comes with 6 hooks, which should be enough to get started at least. No need, in my opinion, to buy more right away. Otherwise I don't think you will need anything you don't already have.

Thanx for these tips! In going with the "Hanging Rack System" does your WSM need to be almost "Air-Tight" with very little leaks? Like some other Forum Members my WSM Door  leaks some and this is why I am thinking of buying a "Cajun Bandit WSM Door.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »
In my opinion, no. Minor air leaks are just the equivalent of having one of the vents a little more open. If you are able to get your temperature where you want it, and if you can extinguish the fire by closing all the vents, then your smoker is tight enough. I did do a little bending on my door when I first got my WSM, many years ago, but after that I have never had a problem with leaks and I have never resorted to tape, gaskets, or after-market doors. Maybe I was lucky and got a good one. ;)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
I bought my wsm second hand and I couldn't get it to shut down or maintain temps. My latch was shot and even if it was tight, it would deform the flimsy door. The Cajun bandit door and latch solved all of my issues. Like was mentioned, if it will shut down when vents are closed, your running tight enough as is. If not, the door and latch upgrade are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
Again,guys, thanx for this information and I will give it a run or two to see how well my WSM performs via the "Hanging Rack System" before any further modifications.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
My Gateway 30 Gallon Hanging Rack arrived today and if fits perfectly on my WSM "Classic" 18.5".  I plan to cook-up some meat via the Hanging Rack System within the next few weeks.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
My Gateway 30 Gallon Hanging Rack arrived today and if fits perfectly on my WSM "Classic" 18.5".  I plan to cook-up some meat via the Hanging Rack System within the next few weeks.

Well, sort of....

You do realize that most people hanging ribs for competition on drums are going for color and then wrapping and laying on the cook grate? Often times with a deflector in place-as is the case with Gateways since the ribs hang and cook direct. just sayin'.

Make sure your bullet is tight and regulate the intake with 1 vent. 275-300*. You should get a feel to how long the ribs are on the hooks so, they don't lay in the basket, trim if you have to or cut in half.

As far as placing the temp probe, I'd suggest placing it on the rack.  This was on my 22" using a Hunsaker Vortex basket.

My WSM's were drafty and road weary from comps and when I hung stuff on them that required tight temp control I used the GURU, stuff like chicken or tri-tips I didn't care about the runaway temps.

The drums are a lot tighter and cook moister IMO. I hang a lot and have a Gateway and Hunsaker clones and cook with both style baskets (open direct and the HSSV).

I have a 30 gallon drum, but never hung stuff on the 18" WSM.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!