Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Breaking in Bertha  (Read 1609 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Breaking in Bertha
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »
I arranged a date with Bertha last night.  Being the first cook on a 26er I wanted to get a feel for the amount of space I could play with.  Found some excellent looking 2 in bone in pork chops at the store. My thoughts were I can reverse sear it and give this sns a good trial run.  I also picked up 5 ears of corn and some dinner rolls. 

The corn went first, then the chops about 10 minutes later for the reverse sear.  Towards the end I added the rolls which were a quick cook.  Chops got to 135 so it was sear time.  I was kinda worried because I used my favorite store rub has a good amount of sugar in it.  After a quick few minutes the pork was ready with  a beautiful sear. 

The 26 does an amazing job on heat with a minor amount of charcoal. I don't know if that's due to the sns or the grill but 3/4 of a chimney will get 450+ very easy.  The work space upgrade is wonderful to use.  Many great temp zone options which is great!

The food was awesome and I just realized I didn't have to shuffle anywhere near as much as normal.  I'm really enjoying this grill and the sns is proving to be very useful(I haven't tested the slow aspect yet so I'm still undecided if the retail price is still worth it.) thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Breaking in Bertha
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the first 26er cook.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
Looks good with room to spare.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
I do 95% of my cooking on my 26er.  It's a very, very versatile cooker.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

I do 95% of my cooking on my 26er.  It's a very, very versatile cooker.

BD

Same here. It does it all.

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:35:57 AM »
Love my 26 cook on it probably 80% of the time.  Picked up a WSM about a month ago and haven't even built a fire in it.  26 does a phenomenal job of smoking which the BBB mod.  I'm sure it's even better with a SNS.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 06:38:43 AM »
That looks great.  I've only used my 26er a couple of times, lots of real estate.  I have a 8# brisket that's going on the big girl tonight, low and slow.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
26ers are awesome!