Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Pizza Making Plan  (Read 2950 times)

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
My Pizza Making Plan
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »
After doing some reading, I want to build a cheap and simple pizza setup on my 22" kettle.  This is all theory at this point, so let me know if I am going off in a silly direction.

I found a lady on eBay selling 14" 3/8" 304SS plates, and I ordered one.  It was only $45 delivered, and weighs something like 16lbs.  I am going to use my grinder to clean up the edge and cooking side.  This thing should not cool down much when you put cold dough on it!

I got some firebricks from a local brickyard for $1.60 each. 

My plan is to remove my cooking grate, and set 4 bricks up on end to hold the steel plate, it will be 9" above the coal grate and about 2" above the level of where the cooking grate would be.
I was going to start by dumping the coals directly under the plate, and cook with all vents open and lid closed.   

The thought is that the raised steel plate will stabilize at a nice high temperature, as well as have a hot air space above it since it is raised closer to the top of the lid. 

Here is a photo of my (uncleaned) plate:

Questions: should I shift the plate forward, and cook more indirect, or should I make a pile right under the pizza stone?
What is a good oil to season the SS plate with?

ETA: Here is the source of the 3/8" 304SS plate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-3-8-INCH-X-14-INCH-304-STAINLESS-STEEL-ROUND-DISC-PLATE-/272744241710

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:44:12 AM by mfridman »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: My Pizza Making Plan
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
I would definitely not make a pile right under the steel.  The crust will burn before the cheese even begins sweat, much less melt.  Indirect is the way to go.

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
I would definitely not make a pile right under the steel.  The crust will burn before the cheese even begins sweat, much less melt.  Indirect is the way to go.

Thanks, I will try indirect.  I perused the KettlePizza manual, and it said to bank the coals but to leave some under the stone / steel.

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 07:13:55 PM »
So I tried my setup, just to test it out and season the steel.  No pizza.  It took quite a while for the steel to hear up to around 450, at which point I closed the vents and let it cool.  16 lbs of steel cools very slowly!  The air temp above the plate hit about 575.  I think I will try to heat the plate direct over the coals next time, and move it to the center after it is hot.

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »
(sorry accidental double post)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:48:09 AM by mfridman »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
Are you planning to put the pizza on the 14" steel plate?  If so, it will be difficult to get the tops cooked before the bottoms burn.

Also, you would probably want to remove the mill scale from the metal and maybe season.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:06:07 PM by Jon »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
@mfridman  - In my experience you want the steel or stone to be cooler than the air no top of the pizza.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Update: I have cooked pizza twice, still experimenting with settings. 
Before using the plate, I used an angle grinder with a sanding flap disc to clean off the top and bottom.  I also oiled the plate with veg oil, and seasoned on the grill.  Has a nice dark patina now.
I raise the pizza up about 4" off of the grate to get the hotter air under the top of the lid.

v1, using brick tower, but I think the bricks have too much mass.

v2, using a light stainless bowl on top of the grate as the riser

I still need some fine tuning of temperature, I need to get the top air hotter, so I am looking at adding fresh coals after the plate has come to temp, or using lump. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
Try putting the coals more around the outer section of the grill so the plate isn't as hot as it has been in your other cooks.  You don't necessarily need to top hotter if you can get the plate a little cooler.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I have been tinkering with my setup... it can make pretty good pizza, but the steel plate takes a loooong time to heat up, even when I pre-heat it on my charcoal chimney.  Like, 1/2hr to get to 450-500F. 
I think my steel has too much mass... I am going to experiment with a lighter piece of metal, a 1/4" thick 12" plate of carbon steel.  A friend of mine tells me SS does not conduct heat nearly as well as carbon steel... but then, maybe I should get a piece of thick aluminum plate?  Al has very high thermal conductivity.

[attachment deleted by admin]