Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Does the heat hurt tor kettle  (Read 3925 times)

WMT

• WKC Brave
Does the heat hurt tor kettle
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
I see tons of great pizza being made with the kettle grills and the pizza attachmets. Does the extreme heat with the charcoal directly against the  side of the kettle damage the porcelin. I have been wanting to try this but to be real honest, I am a bit nervous since I just got my grill reciently and don't want to take a chance of damaging the finish.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Does the heat hurt tor kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:44:46 AM »
prolonged cooking this way, yes can damage the porcelain, this is why many people acquire a beater kettle as their Kettle Pizza grill.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:49:01 AM »
Put it this way, I would not be firing up a KP on my 79 Green MBH.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
I have never noticed damage when doing pizza in my kettles...And I usually build a raging wood fire to do so...

If they can handle the vortex then all else is easy money...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 05:10:38 AM »
I have never noticed damage when doing pizza in my kettles...And I usually build a raging wood fire to do so...

If they can handle the vortex then all else is easy money...

Difference is, the vortex is does not have that heat right up against the porcelain,  do that enough and it can cause some damage.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
As LightningBoldtz stated, yes it can happen.  Here is proof.  luckily Weber covered it under warranty.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:11:40 PM by Hofy »
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »
The vortex with enough charcoal will damage the outer surface of the lid. I have a Copper that has discoloration around the handle. It gets worse when I heat it up but does not go away when cool. Vortex.....whoretex I says. Got a second Copper lid so I just keep beating it. In fact that is why I used the Copper as the designated guinea pig cooker as I suspected this would happen.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
Put it this way, I would not be firing up a KP on my 79 Green MBH.

You know I care about you man...........I just knew you would not be the type....the idiotic stupid ass type.....thank you though for not making me come down there and kick your ass then take the Green MBH for using it as a KP. You know I would though.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:27:04 PM »
Using a lime bowl as a fire pit may cause "some" porcelain damage.                                     

@MrHoss  - So you don't jump in your truck and head to California to whoop some ass, it was not my abuse. I rescued this lime and reunited it with it's original Chariot Seville.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:09:44 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
I'm stopping my buddy from using his black OTS as a fire pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »

Using a lime bowl as a fire pit may cause "some" porcelain damage.                                     

@MrHoss  - So you don't jump in your truck and head to California to whoop some ass, it was not my abuse. I rescued this lime and reunited it with it's original Chariot Seville.

I LOVE IT.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
At a quick glance it looks like a lime custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 02:33:26 AM »
Good to know thanks guys