Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Is My Grilling Problem?  (Read 9032 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: What Is My Grilling Problem?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 06:46:38 AM »
ohh, and BYOB to Steak n Stein!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
EricD, my well-meaning friend, I'm old enough (81) to know that sometimes giving up is the preferred route to take!

VIVAS to those who have failed and given up as a result!  They've LEARNED that they've taken the wrong route and are all the more heroic for having recognized it!

This is called Maturity!

I'll be proud to give up on a pursuit I should have known better than to try in the first place.

Yeah...I'm a Quitter, but not when it comes to other pursuits I've tried and succeeded at.

Grilling?  Not my cup of tea, Sir!

HiDesertHal
(Oh yeah...it's STEER & Stein, not Steak & Stein and BYOB is not permitted!)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:44:08 PM by HiDesertHal »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
HiDesertHal  [Who never liked to cook anyway]

Hal, I applaud you for trying …. And, then … trying again …. and, again.  However, your above quote says it all.

Go out for dinner with your lovely wife …. Have supper at home with your lovely wife ….
But, please, do not bore us with any more ruined cuts of beef …. That you attempted to cook … Leave that to your wife, or a chef at a raunt.

Some of us have tried to help …
Your attempts have been duly noted, however, please stop for the sake of all fine cuts of bovine waiting to be grilled and consumed.   :D :D

Thank you.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »

Dear MacEggs,

I do thank all those who have tried to help me deliver a properly-cooked cut of beef loin.

It's just that I don't have the patience for such pursuits like I do for electrical, optical, and mechanical devices and systems.

Thanks for understanding,

High Desert Harold

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:39:36 AM by HiDesertHal »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
Hey Hal,
Long time listener, first time caller...
Look man, don't give up on it. You're getting some well deserved flack over some of your post, but there is nothing more satisfy than finally cooking your steak and meal for you and your bride the way you like..
Using a 1 1/4" steak, use HIGH heat on your Q. Season and oil your steak, then place on grate, close lid and don't look for 3 minutes. Open lid, turn quickly, lid back down for 2 minutes. Open lid and touch the steak. That will tell you how it feels. Remember that feel. Pull steak to rest for 5 minutes. You should be very close to med rare.
If it's too much done than adjust cooking times, next time.
DONT GIVE UP.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
Hey Hal,
Look man, don't give up on it. You're getting some well deserved flack over some of your post, but there is nothing more satisfy than finally cooking your steak and meal for you and your bride the way you like..
Using a 1 1/4" steak, use HIGH heat on your Q. Season and oil your steak, then place on grate, close lid and don't look for 3 minutes. Open lid, turn quickly, lid back down for 2 minutes. Open lid and touch the steak. That will tell you how it feels. Remember that feel. Pull steak to rest for 5 minutes. You should be very close to med rare.
DONT GIVE UP.

You are beating a dead horse here. Just sayin'. The man does not like steak it would seem. Hal.....stick to the Country-Fried Steak.........eat what you really like. If you don't have patience for something odds are it won't turn out great. Folks here who like bbq and are more than good at it have arrived for a real good reason. You should get yours at a restaurant....maybe go for the ribs or pulled pork.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:25:22 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »

Hey Hal,
DONT GIVE UP.

You are beating a dead horse here. Just sayin'. The man does not like steak it would seem. Hal.....stick to the Country-Fried Steak.........eat what you really like. If you don't have patience for something odds are it won't turn out great. Folks here who like bbq and are more than good at it have arrived for a real good reason. You should get yours at a restaurant....maybe go for the ribs or pulled pork.

I'm with hoss on this. You have to have the desire and enjoy cooking to turn out good food. I don't see it here. If I'm wrong than by all means, keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
All very good points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »

Hey Hal,
DONT GIVE UP.

I'm with hoss on this. You have to have the desire and enjoy cooking to turn out good food. I don't see it here. If I'm wrong than by all means, keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

You guys are all too nice!  Imagine if a person joined a diehard enthusiast Mustang GT forum and said he does not like big v8 engines complaining of gas consumption. How he hates everything about the car. And he said how he hates driving in general and would rather take a bus.

How would that person be perceived by other members?  Troll? maybe get banned?
I am just saying how nice we are here on this forum. I am sure Hal appreciates that.

After all, we are all here because we love all Weber charcoal kettles and cooking.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:40:00 AM by greenweb »

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »

HELL YES  I appreciate it!  You're all very sincere and helpful!

Those people are right who say that somebody who feels that cooking is a chore will not be successful at it!

And...that somebody is ME!

But I promised myself that I'll try one more Ribeye, and not cook any longer than it takes to sear both sides.

If my probe tells me it's under 125, then I'll throw it back on the Q again for a SHORT TIME until I get that 125 degree Medium-Rare doneness. 

If I can easily cut and chew that steak, then I may want to stay in the game.  Otherwise, it's Steer & Stein for Country Fried Steak, Fish & Chips, or Baby-Back BBQ ribs.

But if ALL my cooking attempts fail, then I'll make myself comfortable in the Off Topic section, and if I finally learn how to post pictures, then I'll treat the members to some great and unusual shots of my hobbies!

Adios, mis Amigos...hasta la vista!

Tu Compadre,
Alto Desierto Haroldo

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:28:48 PM by HiDesertHal »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »
Oh ffs, Hal, you were a test engineer, so test!  Go to butcher and tell him you want a ribeye exactly 1 1/4 inches thick.  Bring it home.  Put it on cutting board and cut into 1 inch or so strips across the short axis.  This should give you 4 to 6 strips of equal thickness.  Take one of the strips and follow the method spelled out immediately above.   He a stop watch and take notes.  PAY Attention to how the piece looks AND feels when you flip it and take it off.  Let it rest for a few minutes then slice I and try a  bite.

If it's perfect, then repeat exact process with the next pice and the next to practice.

If the piece was over cooked,  repeat test but flip and pull 30 seconds sooner.  If undercooked, flip and pull 30 seconds later.

Be sure to note what setting the grill is on so you can replicate in the future.

While an art, grilling still obeys the laws of physics.  X thickness at Y temp will take Z long to cook.   Obviously, if you change X or Y, it will affect Z.  That's where the art comes in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »

Hey demosthenes9,

Sure, I was a Lab Test Engineer from 1962 to 1998, when I retired.

I still enjoy testing, developing, and improving Electrical, Mechanical an Optical systems on a hobby basis, but I will not take the same adventureous spirit into the world of BBQ!

I know you went to a lot of trouble, typing and editing this procedure to give me guidance and to assess results on a scientific basis, but I will not even try to do his, because I would reluctantly go though the motions not really caring, as it just seerms like too much trouble to be worth it!

It's not the same, Sir!   It has to do with COOKING MEAT, which has no reference to Volts, Amps, Frequency, Torque, Pressure, Rotational Energy, and other apects of Physics which are my real interest.

I've built several Lightning Machines, one of which used electrostatic energy to produce 4-foot arcs of an estimated potential of over 1 Million volts DC.  What grilling experiene can equal that?

See?  It's what a preson WANTS to do!

HiDesertHal
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:52:01 PM by HiDesertHal »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
I'd say when you can reverse sear a steak to fine steakhouse quality at a fraction of the price with your own personal touch and flavor. That is why we are here. Off topic is fun once in a while but we are here to get better at grilling and live vicariously through those that have amazing collections of the classic Weber Kettle.  We've tried to help you but you don't want to be helped. Good luck with those volts and amps Hal.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »

Hey demosthenes9,

Sure, I was a Lab Test Engineer from 1962 to 1998, when I retired.

I still enjoy testing, developing, and improving Electrical, Mechanical an Optical systems on a hobby basis, but I will not take the same adventureous spirit into the world of BBQ!

I know you went to a lot of trouble, typing and editing this procedure to give me guidance and to assess results on a scientific basis, but I will not even try to do his, because I would reluctantly go though the motions not really caring, as it just seerms like too much trouble to be worth it!

It's not the same, Sir!   It has to do with COOKING MEAT, which has no reference to Volts, Amps, Frequency, Torque, Pressure, Rotational Energy, and other apects of Physics which are my real interest.

I've built several Lightning Machines, one of which used electrostatic energy to produce 4-foot arcs of an estimated potential of over 1 Million volts DC.  What grilling experiene can equal that?

See?  It's what a preson WANTS to do!

HiDesertHal
Wow. Now that was a complete PRICK response.

Goodbye sir.

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »

Travis, I don't believe I'll be inviting you over for Supper anytime soon.

High Desert Harold
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:10:25 PM by HiDesertHal »