Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken temperature  (Read 2828 times)

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
Re: Chicken temperature
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
Lots of good advice above. Reading through the posts I found myself agreeing with a few techniques.

1. I too employ similar tactics as @HoosierKettle does, cooking breasts to 160-165 and always using thermometer. Dark meat I generally go by look and feel and do not worry about 'over cooking' as it is super forgiving. 
2. I also do a wet brine, as @Foster Dahlet describes above. when I grill thighs I'll put them in a wet brine of salt, brown suger, garlic cloves, red chili flakes and pepper corns for ~ 1 hour.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 07:44:25 AM »
I get the same thing at home.  Wife was taught to fear under cooked MEAT, not just chicken, from a young age.  Her and her folks refuse to change with the times.  Any hint of juiciness in any meat "it's under cooked"
I take MY chicken off at 160 (dark meat  175), MY steaks at 125, MY pork at 140-145.  Her stuff gets left on the grill while mine rests.   I enjoy my meal with a nice Bourbon.  Shes chews hers and washes it down with a gallon of water.   She says she likes it.  Wont even try it cooked perfectly!
I feel your pain. I can't imagine how they learned to enjoy card board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »
I get the same thing at home.  Wife was taught to fear under cooked MEAT, not just chicken, from a young age.  Her and her folks refuse to change with the times.  Any hint of juiciness in any meat "it's under cooked"
I take MY chicken off at 160 (dark meat  175), MY steaks at 125, MY pork at 140-145.  Her stuff gets left on the grill while mine rests.   I enjoy my meal with a nice Bourbon.  Shes chews hers and washes it down with a gallon of water.   She says she likes it.  Wont even try it cooked perfectly!

It is almost painful to give a good cut of meat to someone who will only eat it overcooked.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken temperature
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »
Legs thighs wings have to be well done with fat rendered and breasts have to be cooked juicy. That is universal and everyone I've ever cooked for expects this or it doesn't get eaten. If you like a fatty thigh cooked to 165 that is highly unusual.

And while I'm at it, 145 pork is not for me. 150-155 is just as juicy without any pink. I won't eat pink pork even though it seems to be acceptable these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:57:30 AM by HoosierKettle »