Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for Suggestions  (Read 3108 times)

nitis

• WKC Brave
Looking for Suggestions
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
My buddy who runs the local Ace Hardware is going to have another Demo day in a few weeks

He had the traeger Rep out a few weeks ago and that was nice because they did it all this time its just going to be me and him.  He is going to run the traegers I will run the webers.  Obviously we will be doing some TriTips brats and hot dogs.

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for things that would be quick prep quick cook things so that people might be able to see from start to finish

Or if anyone has ever don't an event like this please by all means share your thoughts and ideas.  I will be taking down one if not both of my performers my 14" WSM and one of my Genesis unless I can talk him into Demoing one of the new genesis haha
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Looking for Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »
Never done anything like this but if I were to I'd try to show all the versatility of a kettle. Have one doing low and slow ribs. Have one doing some ribeye reverse sear and some sides and have a kettle incorporating some cast iron skillet action. I think most folks just see a hot dog cooker when they see a kettle grill. My family still calls it a smoker even though I've grilled and done sides for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
Teriyaki pork kabobs cook quick and you could make up a bunch ahead of time. They would be able to see start to finish in minutes and be eating one. I hope your cooking beats the pants off the dumb traeger dude. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
Haha yeah he just got his last month tough to beat when you get it for like 40% off wholesale as part of show pricing. But he is working on getting me to get one

I actually have a pellet pro hopper I want to fab into an older genesis 1000

Great idea on the kabobs

Also using a skillet something I've never tried on mine

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »
I've done a bunch of demos and I just did one all day at Bass Pro yesterday. I did Smithfield marinated pork tenderloins seasoned with my rub, cooked indirect to 145, sliced 1/4" thick, and poured some of my bbq sauce on the cutting board for them to dip in. A big hit, very little prep.
Another great choice is boneless skinless thighs, especially if you have some GrillGrates to use on your Weber. Put the grates right over the coals, season with my rub, and grill them off in about 5 minutes with killer grill marks. Cut them into chunks and dip in my sauce. Cheap, fast, really tasty.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 05:24:59 PM »
Sounds great guys keep it coming

I think I'm going to do some chicken tenders Sam's has some cut to a nice size for a good price

Pork tenderloins are good cheap and easy too

I'd love to do some jalapeņo poppers too but the prep is a bear

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
@nitis
Don't forget to tell everyone where this will be.. You never know who will stop by!
Lol
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
@heyjude more the merrier I'm sure we could use your expertise. I promise to help with charcoal costs

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
@nitis
So uh, yeah, like uh, where is this at?  uh, cause you know like uh.. someone might want to stop by..
And I won't plan to cook.. I like to watch!! Lol.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
Fire up a veggie kettle!

Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus...too bad it's not corn season here. Still, a cardboard boat of veggies with a little tub of Ranch is always popular.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
Moinks go over well and are pretty easy to prep.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
My advice is to go there with as much prep work already done that you can

You are going be really busy with your cooks going on, so if you do any prep work there you need to have that item almost ready cooking so yu  can pass out samples. No one wants to sit around 45 minutes to taste something.

Also, have several kettles set up for different styles, do not think you will be able to change a setup mid stream. If that means having 2 kettles set up each style of cooking so you an have fresh cooks going, so be it. I would hate to see you frustrated trying to keep one kettle a max capacity when being able to switch between two when one needs a refig is just to easy.

good luck
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
I know you cant do a 12hr overnight briskett, but when I do get togethers with friends, we always do one big briskett, pull it like pulled pork as it goes a long way and serve it on a roll with coleslaw and cowboy beans.
makes a piece of meat go far.
Personally i would do a briskett the night before to show what low and slow does and on the day maybe cook a chicken on one Weber and grill tasters on the other.
When grilling tasters, cut your meat into smaller pieces so something is always grilling.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
This is quick and easy.

Here's the sauce;

1 cup Hoisin sauce
1 cup Orange marmalaide
4 tbs honey
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp fresh ginger - finely minced
6 to 8 scallions - finely chopped
2 tbs sesame oil
a splash of Secret Aardvark

Mix together, using a stick blender... make it look kinda like this...

What we have here are chick-a-bobs, marinated in my Asian sauce, strung up on Fire Wires, and placed around the SCREAMING hot Vortex. These are boneless, skinless chicken breasticles, chunked up and marinated in the fridge for about 4-6 hours...

CopperTop meets Mr. V...

Got him CRANKIN"!!

Here they are almost done...

Let's eat!! Served up with broccoli, rice, and some fresh 'maters...

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:44:49 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
This is quick and easy.

Here's the sauce;

1 cup Hoisin sauce
1 cup Orange marmalaide
4 tbs honey
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp fresh ginger - finely minced
6 to 8 scallions - finely chopped
2 tbs sesame oil
a splash of Secret Aardvark

Mix together, using a stick blender... make it look kinda like this...

What we have here are chick-a-bobs, marinated in my Asian sauce, strung up on Fire Wires, and placed around the SCREAMING hot Vortex. These are boneless, skinless chicken breasticles, chunked up and marinated in the fridge for about 4-6 hours...

CopperTop meets Mr. V...

Got him CRANKIN"!!

Here they are almost done...

Let's eat!! Served up with broccoli, rice, and some fresh 'maters...

Just a thought...

Man I really don't like the taco handle but your copper kettle looks amazing in these shots. Very nice cook!  I can't believe the copper kettles don't change at all with that high heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.