Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cedar Planked Steelhead  (Read 1681 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Cedar Planked Steelhead
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Trying to eat healthy at least a couple of nights a week.

My wife picked up a nice looking steelhead fillet.  Put it on a water-soaked cedar plank with some olive oil, salt and pepper

Bisbee gets the call.  Filled half the kettle with Royal Oak lump and got it nice and hot:

Glazed the steelhead with homemade huckleberry BBQ sauce, and threw some olive oil coated asparagus on the grill

All plated up.  Cedar steelhead, grilled asparagus, and caprese salad washed down with some Grenache from Folktale vineyards (they make really good wine!).

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cedar Planked Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
@Winz that was a beautiful looking piece of fish. Question do you just put the fish on the plank and then on the grill? I usually put the plank on till it starts crackling then add the fish. Any advantage cooking wise the way you do it if that is in fact the way you do it?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
@Winz that was a beautiful looking piece of fish. Question do you just put the fish on the plank and then on the grill? I usually put the plank on till it starts crackling then add the fish. Any advantage cooking wise the way you do it if that is in fact the way you do it?

Thanks!  Not sure I can answer your question - I have never done it any other way.  I have bought some cheap planks in the past that would probably not stand up to much more heat, that is the only downside I can see with preheating the planks.  I would guess that your method would likely better infuse the fish with the taste of cedar.  Will have to give it a try!

Winz

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
@Winz I'd love to see more of that knife. I know it's a bit off topic, but I love sharp stuff. PM me, if you prefer.
Still need a 22” yellow

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »
My wife and I are trying to do the same thing (eat healthy) and are trying to have fish once a week.  We found we like Steelhead better than salmon, and as a bonus it's cheaper than salmon at Costco as well.  A recipe we've loved is here: 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228041/steelhead-trout-bake-with-dijon-mustard/

Only difference is we plank it for 25 minutes on the Weber. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 07:13:46 AM »

I also "pre-char" my plank over direct for maybe 30 seconds, flip it over onto indirect, and then add my [skinless] filet onto that charred side.  I've done it both ways and find pre-charring the plank imparts more flavor. 

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
@Winz I'd love to see more of that knife. I know it's a bit off topic, but I love sharp stuff. PM me, if you prefer.

PM sent!

Winz

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:08:25 AM »

I also "pre-char" my plank over direct for maybe 30 seconds, flip it over onto indirect, and then add my [skinless] filet onto that charred side.  I've done it both ways and find pre-charring the plank imparts more flavor. 

Once you pre-char, do you then cook it indirect?

I am cooking with my planks directly over the heat which is why they don't last very long.  In the picture above, I moved the fish to indirect simply to glaze it while cooking the asparagus.

Winz

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
Yes, after charring one side of a soaked plank, I put the fish on the charred side of the plank and move everything over to indirect. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
Yes, after charring one side of a soaked plank, I put the fish on the charred side of the plank and move everything over to indirect. 

Same way for me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Trying to eat healthy at least a couple of nights a week.

My wife picked up a nice looking steelhead fillet.  Put it on a water-soaked cedar plank with some olive oil, salt and pepper

Bisbee gets the call.  Filled half the kettle with Royal Oak lump and got it nice and hot:

Glazed the steelhead with homemade huckleberry BBQ sauce, and threw some olive oil coated asparagus on the grill

All plated up.  Cedar steelhead, grilled asparagus, and caprese salad washed down with some Grenache from Folktale vineyards (they make really good wine!).

Winz

Looks great!     Is steelhead similiar to salmon in flavor?  Texture?   I see it all the time, but have never pulled the trigger on buying it
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »

Looks great!     Is steelhead similiar to salmon in flavor?  Texture?   I see it all the time, but have never pulled the trigger on buying it

Tough for me to judge.  I usually cook it on a plank and put so much stuff on it (rubs, glazes, etc) that I lose some of that fish flavor.   :)

I do like steelhead for cooking however - the fillets are more uniform in thickness than salmon, and as a result, I think it is easier to get the whole fillet cooked to an even temperature than Salmon.

Winz

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49:59 AM »
Looks great!
I'll take the cheaper planks (the ones that come in two packs) soak them, put the fish right on the plank, and grill directly over the coals. You can only get a couple of cooks out of em this way, but great smokey flavor.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »
That looks great. I've been doing direct heat and direct on grate with no plank.  Then some apple or mulberry on the fire.  Works great if your too lazy and cheap to use a plank like me.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »
Everything looks amazing! I have a couple of the weber planks that I have never used. I rarely cook fish but want to start.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow