Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ceramic vs Stainless  (Read 2118 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Ceramic vs Stainless
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
We were in a store over the weekend and they had a section for grilling items. It seems the new cooking surfaces are ceramic. Has anyone tried that and is it worth the extra $$

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ceramic vs Stainless
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:55:29 AM »
I don't have any experience with those products but I really like my cast iron cook ware on a kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
Ceramic is a coating over mild steel. It may do the job fine but l would also stick to Cast iron or Stainless steel cook ware.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:20:31 AM »
@clarissa I have used ceramic (my wifes pans) inside on the stove and they work fantastically but at my work we sell some ceramic grill pans that are intriguing. I mainly use cast iron and SS on the kettles. I may have to try one of these ceramic pans on the grill and see how it goes.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
I prefer cast iron also
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
@clarissa

We have one of those stores in Carlsbad too. I look at those every time I go in there and can never justify buying one, even though I really want one lol. They have stainless steel ones as well, I believe. I will probably cave in at some point and get one, as it looks to be the perfect way to cook and serve fish from the grill.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:05:35 AM »
Apparently these are cast iron with a ceramic coating.  Very heavy and look sturdy. I debated about getting the long narrow one, but wanted to get some feedback first.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
Based on the topic title I'd buy stainless. I like my SS cookware but my cast iron skillet still get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Apparently these are cast iron with a ceramic coating.  Very heavy and look sturdy. I debated about getting the long narrow one, but wanted to get some feedback first.

Careful! It should still work fine,but don't expect it to be a coated CI. Check out the description. "high-heat cooking without the weight or added maintenance of cast iron" does not sound like it is cast iron. Same on the Spec. No mention of cast iron and the weight is too light to be ci. And this seems to be consistent with all Sur La Table Ceramic cookware. I am not saying they are bad and I could still be wrong so check them out on their web site.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
Thanks, good to know.  They have some weight, so I thought it was ci.  The weight is what impressed me tho, compared to the same size pan in ss. Definitely not the lightweight ceramic pans I have for my stove.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
ss or cast iron ..as the ceramic coating will wear off and then you are left with rusty pos..

thats one reason why i dont like any of the porcelain coated grates/ accessories that weber offers..

Grills

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 04:14:28 PM »
Thanks, good to know.  They have some weight, so I thought it was ci.  The weight is what impressed me tho, compared to the same size pan in ss. Definitely not the lightweight ceramic pans I have for my stove.

At 1.85 lbs it really doesn't have much weight to it for it's size.