Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pellet poopers.  (Read 1717 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Pellet poopers.
« on: June 04, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
A friend of mine just got one and I assisted him cooking wings at his party last night. He manned the grill the first half of the cook and I ran it the rest as he was busy.

It is a pit boss brand or at least that's what it said. It was my first time using one. I really tried to hate it but I was really impressed with how it worked and how well it did on wings. I wouldn't have guessed it. We had it filled with wings and it cooked like a champ. Great skin and great flavor.

Who else has one or has used one?  Is there a downside? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Re: Pellet poopers.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
I have a Cookshack PG500 pellet smoker/grill and use it quite often. They're nice for set it and forget it cooking and the direct side is great for doing a few steaks. The one I have has a smoking/warmer drawer I can use for cold smoking cheese or salmon.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
I have the Pellet Pro WSM and have used a Louisiana CS-450 and a Cookshack FEC100.

Don't be hatin', the Dark Side is OK
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
When it comes to good que, The Swamprb will sell his soul..

Many here have traveled to the dark side in search of the meaning of life..

But once you have had Webers in your blood, you will always come back..

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
I have a RecTec Mini and a Traeger Timberline 850.  I have been very pleased with the results.  I have done briskets, butts, ribs, chicken and turkey and have had few issues.  The smoke profile is light, which works for me.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »
They have their place

But there is definitely a certain satisfaction or self gratification knowing you did it over wood or charcoal

I have a pellet pro hopper I put in an old propane smoker and it works pretty well. But I have not used it once since I drug home my first performer

My buddy who has our local Ace is trying real hard to get me to buy a traeger but my issue with them is not how well they cook or perform so much as they just feel and look cheap to me. Maybe the new timberline might get me to come over.

Of course Weber says no way in hell will they ever do one and maybe they're still licking their wounds over the SCG. But what 35 years ago they likely said the same about the Genesis right?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground