Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KettlePizza steel lid question  (Read 2421 times)

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
KettlePizza steel lid question
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
So I scored a righteous deal on the KettlePizza Deluxe. Will I be able to make great pies without the steel lid? Is the steel lid a pretty critical component?

If it is, I'm wondering if I could instead just set a sheet of steel sheet metal on a grate? Anyone tried that?
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: KettlePizza steel lid question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
@SmokeVide -  I don't have one and don't put anything in my lid to keep the heat closer to the pizza, and mine come out great.  I will eventually get a baking steel though...I can see how it would help contain the heat more which would result in faster, more consistent cooks that would probably also use less fuel.  A handful of people have DIY ways of doing what the baking steel does, so I'm sure you will some of the options as people see your post!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
@SmokeVide The steel is nice to have but not necessary. Many moons ago when I first started cooking pies on the KP I had a square piece of heavy gauge sheet metal as my lid and it worked great. It was large enough so I could just set it on top of the KP ring and not have to use the KP. I'm sure if you search some of my old posts you'll find a pic of this setup.

Now cook some pies!

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:52:49 PM »
just make sure you don't use galvanized sheet metal i was thinking about getting some metal and cutting it out same size as the grate so i can set it on top and see if it makes a big improvement on my pizza making also
BBQ to live live to BBQ

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:08:35 AM »
I built a Kettle Pizza clone and after doing a lot of research, I thought I'd give a baking steel type lid/deflector a shot.

I had a concrete saw blade and the bottom of the drum I used for the KP clone and bolted them together with a cook grate for handles and as a spacer between them - basically to cut down on the weight.

It worked fine, and if I stayed with the KP clone, I'd still use it. So I suppose I could recommend that kind of setup. It was just too much of a hassle for what I was trying to accomplish.

I'm much happier with my Chop-Top Pizza Kettle.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!