Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY gas kettle  (Read 2105 times)

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
DIY gas kettle
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:40:55 AM »
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while and wanted some input from my fellow "Kettleheads"

I have a circular propane burner I harvested from an old fire put.  It is very simple...burner , straight pipe, orifice, hose, regulator.

I put it in a chimnea and used it on our deck for a while.  With the installation of our wood-burning fire ring last year, this thing has just been sitting around. 

I am thinking about drilling a 1/2 hole in my trusty ots and putting the ring/lava rocks in it...a diy gas kettle.  Heat would be regulated at the tank and with the vents. 

Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: DIY gas kettle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:03 AM »
You need to provide adequate ventilation to prevent buildup of an explosive mix. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGULATE TEMPERATURE BY CONTROLLING AIR. If you cut back on air, you will produce an overrich mix in the cooker that will not support flame until you open the lid whereupon you will get something between a ball of fire and an explosion, depending on the exact conditions.

You need to provide enough air flow to support complete combustion at full gas flow and then just leave the air flow there as you turn down fuel to the burner.

I have no direct experience designing BBQ grills but I did work a couple years as a combustion engineer at what was then Inland Steel.
kettles, smokers...

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:01:29 AM »
Thank you.  Your reply alone has deterred me from this pursuit :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:04:30 AM »
PM me if your keen on a trade for a gas conversion kit for a kettle
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »
PM me if your keen on a trade for a gas conversion kit for a kettle
Hogsys the man! He sent me a super nice one. I should be hooking it up soon. I plan to make some mexican dishes and pizzas with it.