Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: one of those guys....  (Read 2233 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
one of those guys....
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »
so I had a spare lid that I had taped and marked off to cuz a hole for pizza. we make pizzas alot using trader joes Pizza dough at home and my wife is really good at doing it in the oven.

I saw this guy's video

https://youtu.be/QswJfkxS-OQ

and how he cooks his pizzas.

I'm a very touchy Feely kinda person when it comes to buying most things I have to see, feel and just know what I'm buying before I buy it.

question 1, those who have a kettle pizza or Pizza que. is the process of cooking a pizza at 700 degrees with a open faced kettle putting it in and pulling it out with a peel just a it's funner that way deal or does it actually work better?
question 2, those who use the closed lid Pizza cooking method, how is it? easier? more of a pain to do multiple pizzas at a lower temp?

thanks fellas [emoji482]

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: one of those guys....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
The open faced kettle method allows you to hit temps of 700-900 degrees which means you can cook a pizza in 3-5 minutes.  In my mind that's a lot more fun than a pizza taking 20-30 minutes with the regular lid on methods.  Especially if you are cooking several pizzas. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
The open faced kettle method allows you to hit temps of 700-900 degrees which means you can cook a pizza in 3-5 minutes.  In my mind that's a lot more fun than a pizza taking 20-30 minutes with the regular lid on methods.  Especially if you are cooking several pizzas. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
awesome ! thanks for the input

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »

question 1, those who have a kettle pizza or Pizza que. is the process of cooking a pizza at 700 degrees with a open faced kettle putting it in and pulling it out with a peel just a it's funner that way deal or does it actually work better?
question 2, those who use the closed lid Pizza cooking method, how is it? easier? more of a pain to do multiple pizzas at a lower temp?

R1: Definately more fun, "better" depends on what kind of pizza you want to make. KP works best for thin, crispy pizza whereas lid-on cooking works great for thicker, pan style pizza.

R2: It's pretty easy to do but I recommend a kettle that seals well so you have temp control. You will need more charcoal the longer and higher temp your pizza cook is. You want to ensure that you have enough unlit in the charcoal pile to sustain your desired temp through the cook. Putting a small pile of lit charcoal into a kettle @ 375F then having it fall to <275 over the course of an hour is a common noob mistake.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »

R1: Definately more fun, "better" depends on what kind of pizza you want to make. KP works best for thin, crispy pizza whereas lid-on cooking works great for thicker, pan style pizza.

R2: It's pretty easy to do but I recommend a kettle that seals well so you have temp control. You will need more charcoal the longer and higher temp your pizza cook is. You want to ensure that you have enough unlit in the charcoal pile to sustain your desired temp through the cook. Putting a small pile of lit charcoal into a kettle @ 375F then having it fall to <275 over the course of an hour is a common noob mistake.
so I'm either gonna cut a lid or cut my roti and make a hybrid Pizza rodi

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »
Right now I make pizza with the closed lid and sometimes lid cracked method. Takes a little longer than the other guys but it's not much more to setup. I am considering cutting a lid of an OTG since it might be slightly out of round anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.