Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Competition chicken on a kettle  (Read 2204 times)

Fullbore BBQ

• Smokey Joe
Competition chicken on a kettle
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:01:16 AM »
Well I was a little reluctant to even post this, due to it turning out the way it did but as promised I tried to do KCBS style chicken thighs on my kettle. I was really unhappy with the results, I have no doubt it can be done but 1st run was a bust. Skin shrunk to about nothing. I like the idea of doing it as to my intended competition set up I plan on running a couple 22-1/2 WSM's and the kettle for the chicken. Back to the drawing board on these although I did learn the don'ts just more practice. Like a buddy once said "Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong" well I believe I have a starting point!
1 Weber OTG 26" 1 Weber OTG 18.5" 1 Weber Pimped out Smokey Joe Gold  2 Weber WSM 22" 1 Weber WSM 14.5 3 BBQ Guru Lime Green Thermopen MK4

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Competition chicken on a kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
Looks grate best of luck
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
Keep trying...
And enjoy the food offerings along the way...

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
I do my comp chicken on a kettle. I have to trim some of the excess fat under skin so it doesn't blacken and pull back

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
I do my comp chicken on a kettle too. I did not enter thighs though. I did breast and wings. Everyone said don't do wings cause it too risky. I ended up placing third out of 20 teams. I plan on doing the same thing again.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »

Here's my set up. This was 6th place chicken at Big Poppas Guinea Pig Comp in Indio, CA

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:03 AM »
Wow ya'll. That's some beautiful (square?) chicken! Just curious, is that boneless?
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:36:22 AM »
When I was still competing, I always did my chicken on the kettle, pretty much like THUNDERDOME does.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »
Wow ya'll. That's some beautiful (square?) chicken! Just curious, is that boneless?

This batch wasn't. But I debone 9/10 times. I basically decide once I get the pack of chicken open and start trimming