Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Apple wood smoked salmon on a yellow kettle (RECIPE INCLUDED)  (Read 1276 times)

Cellar2ful

Had friends over for dinner tonight. Both couples own Webers but have never seen vintage colored kettles. Figured they would like to experience the color change of a yellow when heated.  The yellow did not disappoint, putting on quite a show while cooking the salmon. I put another yellow next to it for comparison. The salmon came out perfect and was served over a bed of heirloom tomato risotto.

Preheating before putting the salmon on.

Salmon on, rolling smoke.

Starting to get the orange blush where the coals are against the side of the kettle. Pictures just do not reflect how drastic the color change is.

12 minutes later, all done.

Mrs. Cellar2ful working the pass, giving the plates a final inspection before sending them out to our guests.

RECIPE (for 2) 

2 salmon fillets (skin on)

Mrs Dash salt free lemon pepper

Herbs for Fish  (Dean & Deluca or Herbes De Provence)

olive oil

Either buy pre-cut salmon fillets or cut a whole fillet into equal servings.  I find using cut pieces allows for more smoke flavor to permeate the fish. Leave the skin on as it helps keep the salmon moist during cooking.  Wash the fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Coat the salmon lightly with olive oil.  I use "Herbs for Fish" from Dean & Deluca ( fennel, sage, rosemary thyme, marjoram, parsley and crushed bay leaves). Herbes De Provence can be substituted in place of the Dean &B Deluca herbs.  Sprinkle liberally over the top and sides of the salmon.  I also use a little Mrs Dash Salt Free Lemon Pepper. Any lemon pepper will work though.  Set your kettle up for indirect cooking, with a pan or aluminum foil beneath the salmon. Dump the lit coals and pre- heat the kettle for 10 minutes. Place the salmon skin side down between the charcoal baskets.  Add a cup of apple wood chips or two small chunks of apple wood to the coals.  When the wood begins to smoke, put the lid on and cook for approximately 10-12 minutes.  Do not cook any longer unless you are at a higher altitude. Once it is cooked and off the grill, I remove the skin and scrape off the dark meat that is between the skin and the orange meat of the salmon.  The dark meat has a tendency to have a fishy taste to it and that is where all the toxins are collected in the fish (mercury).  I serve it over heirloom tomato risotto. Other options are to serve it over wild rice or let the salmon cool and serve it over a bed of arugula.

If anyone is real adventuresome, here is the recipe for making heirloom tomato risotto.

1/2 - cup Arborio rice

1   - cup heirloom tomatoes (pureed using an immersion blender or food processor)

1/2 - low sodium chicken stock

Melt a 3 tabs of butter in a saute pan.  Brown the rice, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes in the melted butter.  Pour in the tomato puree and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then drop the temp to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. You have to keep stirring and keep your eye on it so it does not dry out. Add a touch of fresh cracked pepper and cook to your preferred consistency.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:26:43 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bear

• WKC Ranger
Re: Apple wood smoked salmon on a yellow kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:32:12 AM »
Thank you so much for your efforts. Pictures are great. 

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
Beautiful cook and with extra color change entertainment too!
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
Amazing looking plates!  The color change is really cool!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:06:57 AM »
The color change is so cool.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Apple wood smoked salmon on a yellow kettle
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Looks good man. You know you're just using the color change to bring out the other yellow and look at them. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
Love using the yellow kettle. Awesome cook. @Cellar2ful and Mrs. Cellar2ful you both have chef's touch.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
Looks great!  Your granite is making me feel inadequate with my old Formica. [emoji35][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
Love using the yellow kettle. Awesome cook. @Cellar2ful and Mrs. Cellar2ful you both have chef's touch.

Recognize it Alvin? The one I cooked on in that picture is the one I got from you.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
@cellar2ful. How did you prepare the salmon for smoking?  Did you rub with any special cure?  Would line to try smoking salmon but don't know where to start. Food looks great and I love the yellows!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »

@KevinP- I have modified my original post to include the recipe. 

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Apple wood smoked salmon on a yellow kettle (RECIPE INCLUDED)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
@Cellar2ful are those Shuns in the background?
Still need a 22” yellow

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »
Great post, and the food looks incredible!!!
It's so true about not over cooking salmon. Chicken and salmon are really the only thing I use my instant read for...
Again, great cook!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
@Cellar2ful are those Shuns in the background?

Yep. Shun Classics. I had a friend that worked at Crate and Barrel Years ago and her discount was almost 50%. Could not pass up the opportunity.

Looks great!  Your granite is making me feel inadequate with my old Formica.

I've seen you plated food man.That's what it's all about. We had white tile until about 7 years ago when we did the kitchen makeover.