Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burgundy. ..Plum...Idk  (Read 8746 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Burgundy. ..Plum...Idk
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Uh, I'm not the best person to ask for this because I never had the patience to track the nuances of when these colors where available when and for what model. It's the source of much debate! I definitely have seen a Plum SS performer and a burgundy Master Touch but I don't recall seeing the vice versa. Plum IS available for regular OT 18's and 22's. I believe the grill in the first post is a burgundy/maroon and NOT the plum/purple/aubergine/eggplant color.

@pbe gummi bear  I hear you.  I now believe that either our documentation needs a review or Weber played fast and loose with their nomenclature.  My SSP is called plum in our doc's, but it looks like the light burgundy of the later MT.  Of course, the fruit plum comes in both burgundy and purple based on variety :) .  In any case, that's all of the conjecture I can handle this late at night.

SJ

word. We'll let the peanut gallery decide.

Set the scene:

I get an e-mail from @SmokenJoe  on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend with a link for a $60 Red SS Performer. I'm loaded up to help my teammate cook for a Baseball Tournament Fundraiser Saturday morning and there is no way I'm going to be able to get to it. The craigslist post stated it was a one day sale from 9-4 with "no early birds". Kind of a downer!

Wake up Saturday and my buddy Mark texts me and is already setup and smoking (nervous energy!), so I find out the address is on my way to the Tournament and I swing by @ 8:15AM and I can see the Performer from the road with a couple guys huddled around it (DAMN Early Birds!). It is a junkyard lot with a couple storage buildings on the property and a few 1-800-GOT-JUNK trucks parked outside.

I get up to the grill and it turns out the guys around it were looking at bicycles, and I just bulldoze my way through and drag it near my SUV. The lady in charge of the sale came up and I shot her a lowball, but she had a list of items from the CL ad and stuck firm. I load it up and off I go to to the ball fields.

Didn't think much of it, it sat in the car overnight, rainy overcast weekend, but it looked darker than my Redheads, and it sat next to my comp trailer (Maroon BTW) until Monday, and I'm really not getting the picture - its not a Redhead!!

Fast forward Friday -  4th of July weekend:

Larry makes the trip North to visit the family-we hook up and @SmokenJoe is in possession of his next Weber project!!

@Craig has "every kettle has a story" in his signature - Larry can finish the rest of this story!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 12:46:33 AM »
Nice pick up, looks great!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 01:19:30 AM »
MT next to my RED patent pending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 03:04:25 AM »
All I can say is, if I had the room, I'd have every color...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:05 AM »
It's certainly an interesting color.
I have plans to make a slight mod to this one...maybe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
Maybe they did make a Burgundy SSP....

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
So is plum actually a Weber colour ? Has anyone seen a box with the colour plum on it?
Could it just be that there were slight changes in the paint over different years of production but both colours are still Burgundy? @Craig
Here's a pic of a Burgundy GA box. Fact!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
@Hogsy   Now THAT's a PLUM   ...   or is it a Burgundy :)   Beautiful GA ...

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
1) Yes there was a burgundy SSP. In addition to the ones shown in this thread, my brother-in-law has one purchased from a member here.

2) "Plum" is not a nickname for burgundy. It's another rare color only offered a couple of years around that 2000/2001 timeframe. It simply looks dark-purplish, more so than the burgundy.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »
So Plum, Burgundy and Brick Red were all offered by weber at the same time?
Seems weird they would sell pretty much 3 of the same colour at the one time
Has anyone seen a box or have a catalogue that names Plum as a colour?
I can’t rest till I have proof 🙄
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »
Same years? I never considered that. But yes, I'd agree with same "timeframe". Burgundy a little earlier (late '90s) Plum after that, Brick Red whenever Kraft wanted them (sorry, best I got on that.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »
My "Burgundy" (aka Weber "Plum"???) was on my SSP when I picked her up from Brian.  Vent code  ...  EO --> '95.  See comparison picture (red vs. Burgundum) above.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Martin75

• Smokey Joe
    • Blog.grilykrby.cz
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
not a plum!  i'd say thats the burgundy color.
Looks like the new type of Weber Mater Touch - we call it "brick red" by us , see pictures  http://www.grilykrby.cz/products/gril-weber-master-touch-gbs-57-cm-cihlove-cerveny/

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 02:09:02 AM »

1) Yes there was a burgundy SSP. In addition to the ones shown in this thread, my brother-in-law has one purchased from a member here.

2) "Plum" is not a nickname for burgundy. It's another rare color only offered a couple of years around that 2000/2001 timeframe. It simply looks dark-purplish, more so than the burgundy.

I have owned 4 kettles as described in pt 2 of this post, over the years. All 4 were the darker "purple" looking colour described as plum by most.

None of them were with an original box so I don't know what the official Weber colour was called. However, what I do know is the date codes on each.

DD 2000 - OTS 22
DA 2001 - OTS 18
DU 2002 - OTG 22
DT 2003 - OTP 22

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
"My" DD plum OTP.  Looks more purply.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:46:08 AM by DrewZ »
Drew Z.
Ivory SSP, A-Code CGA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, Snap On GA,  3-burner Genny Jr., Pat. Pending Aristocrat, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, S-320, GGA