Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Coffee can vortex  (Read 3757 times)

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
Coffee can vortex
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:22:19 AM »
So considering what it would cost me to get my hands on a vortex up here in Canada it makes no sense by the time I pay shipping and the exchange on the dollar so I'm wondering if a metal coffee can would not do the same thing?

What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Coffee can vortex
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:36:58 AM »
Or you could cut the bottom off a stainless steel bowl.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »
I love coming up with ideas and creating projects especially if I can save few bucks buying comparable items. But, for me, anything used for inside a kettle.... I will stick to known items.  Here is why. Not knowing the composition of the metal at hand, really hard to say if it is safe to use.  That coffee can would have some galvanized steel ( maybe maybe not!).  Zinc oxide fume can make you sick. That is only one case. Even with those cheap SS bowl, how do we know what it is actually made or have any harmful coating on it.

One time I used aluminum chicken wire at the bot. of the charcoal chimney that literally melted. There are lot of chemical reactions and fums given off. This is the same stuff people use to make custom charcoal baskets and other mods with. 

Some of the steel stuff might be ok to use, but I want to caution on the safe side and stick to known items.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:50:58 AM »
Very good point Greenweb. Never really thought of it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:02:23 AM »
Just a thought- maybe check around for a used Stok kettle grill. There's a pretty good "vortex" in them.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:04:46 AM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 07:05:25 AM »
just do the coffee can

or put 2 charbaskets together
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
just do the coffee can

2 Weber charcoal baskets together for me. It does the job fine, until I get the legit Vortex someday.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 07:30:23 AM »
Coffee cans won't have galvanized steel, but they probably have a coating that would have to be burned off. Also the steel isn't that thick so it would burn through relatively quickly. You can't use galvanized for food containers, as for stainless bowls, there is no coating on them.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
just do the coffee can

2 Weber charcoal baskets together for me. It does the job fine, until I get the legit Vortex someday.
That's the easiest & best work around to a vortex.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 07:33:44 AM »
could cut a chimney in half and remove the handel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Coffee can vortex
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »
just do the coffee can

Your too trusting of "known" products. Where do you think the aluminum goes on our aluminized steel charcoal baskets?  I'm not worried about the baskets but I would recommend burning a chimney through them before using new ones. Same applies for a stainless bowl or tin can. I would be fine with either after burning them in. I do stay away from galvanized for the reason you stated but even galvanized once good and burned I bet would be safe. Still don't recommend that. Any other form of steel I would be comfortable with once broke in.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 08:07:58 AM »

I haven't done that but have always thought that would work perfect

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »

I haven't done that but have always thought that would work perfect

yup just get a cheap one no need to cut a well made weber in half lol

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
All good points here.

I will say simply this about the comment about trusting known products, just because a product is sold on mass with a name brand label on doesn't mean I trust in it.

There are plenty of companies that don't deserve consumers trust based on what they do or don't tell us about their products. This is in no way a comment on the manufacturers of the vortex. Just an overall opinion about industry in general.

My coffee can has been burnt with charcoal using it to do the minion method in my other charcoal smoker so it's in about as good a shape as my chimney.

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions.

Keeper commin'!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
All good points here.

I will say simply this about the comment about trusting known products, just because a product is sold on mass with a name brand label on doesn't mean I trust in it.

There are plenty of companies that don't deserve consumers trust based on what they do or don't tell us about their products. This is in no way a comment on the manufacturers of the vortex. Just an overall opinion about industry in general.

My coffee can has been burnt with charcoal using it to do the minion method in my other charcoal smoker so it's in about as good a shape as my chimney.

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions.

Keeper commin'!

I got a S/S veggie pan from Business Costco for $9, any Restaurant supply will have these. I cut it in two and got one vtex for an 18" and the other for a 22"

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Left-Hand-Smoke-116187658462391/photos/?tab=album&album_id=807036462710837
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!