Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning the inside of WSM lid  (Read 3842 times)

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
Cleaning the inside of WSM lid
« on: February 27, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »
I have developed a slick lacquer type finish on the inside of my lid. When I cook it drops small cinder like black crunchy stuff onto the food.
I bought it new in 1999 and have used and loved it for all these years. This has just started for the last 3 cooks or about a year.
I have read this link    http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
Is there another way? Does anyone know why this condition showed up? Any help in general...
TIA

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cleaning the inside of WSM lid
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
If you don't want to get the steel wool and polish it I get it but at the very least get a razor and scrape it clean. Easy to do and no more drips on your food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
I just noticed your up in Johnstown. I'm a few miles south of Columbus.

O-H

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
I - O

Yes just inside Licking county.
I think I am going to try the scrape method. Might get it hot first. Don't know why it has started doing this. I have cooked in it for almost twenty years, might be time for a cleaning..lol
Thanks

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
Don't get it hot first!
It only takes a couple of years for my WSMs to develop a thick hard coating on the inside of the dome.
The first time I discovered it I had to use a wood chisel to scrape it out. I found that the layer also made temp control pretty difficult.
Definitely want to scrape it out, and then do it every couple of years.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
When I clean my kettle lid I use soap and water and then scrap with a plastic spatula so I don't damage the finish

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
Yep. Do it cold. My Performer needs a good razor scrape.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »
I have developed a slick lacquer type finish on the inside of my lid. When I cook it drops small cinder like black crunchy stuff onto the food.
I bought it new in 1999 and have used and loved it for all these years. This has just started for the last 3 cooks or about a year.
I have read this link    http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
Is there another way? Does anyone know why this condition showed up? Any help in general...
TIA

It's creosote build up. The smoke condenses with the water vapor inside the lid and over time it builds up / deposits a layer. My advice would be to scrape off the loose bits with a plastic scraper and just continue to cook with it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:07:13 AM »
With all of the rescues I have done in the past, a Cold scrape with a razor blade and follow up with a little dawn dish detergent with 0000 steel wool does the trick.  A quick rinse and we are GOOD TO GO!!  no more "Crustys" from the Lid....

I haven't had the need to do the WSM Lid yet.  Now you have me afraid to look....  :O

Good luck... We are all counting on you....

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »

TIA

It's creosote build up. The smoke condenses with the water vapor inside the lid and over time it builds up / deposits a layer. My advice would be to scrape off the loose bits with a plastic scraper and just continue to cook with it.

That's exactly how I maintain my lids. Just a cheap plastic scraper and a quick scape does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
Thanks to all.

Gonna wait until the weather breaks again and give it the cleaning it needs.

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
Thanks to all for the lesson. I have had this WSM for about twenty years and am just now having to clean the lid. I scraped with a plastic scraper then power washed the lid. Then did the mid section and the fire bowl and grate and while everything was out I said what the heck and did the kettle too.
My son is doing a brisket tomorrow so here's to a good cook...

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
20 years of good cooking is a wonderful thing. I got my first WSM recently and I'm looking forward to putting down some build up on the inside in the coming years.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
TIA

This...spend less time scraping n more time playing with your puppy while the wsm does the you paid it to do....

Grills

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:34:47 AM »
My WSM 18" "Classic" which I purchased new in April, 2008 is still going strong in which I do a good top-to-bottom Cleaning once-a-year.  I got a whole lot of tips on the YouTube Channel on cleaning techniques.