Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dough issues  (Read 2530 times)

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Dough issues
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
Ok, I've always used a mix, but decided to try the Bobby Flay recipe.  Made one batch with bread flour and one with whole wheat flour.
The bread flour batch did NOT want to stretch...kept snapping back...where did I go wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Dough issues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
How long did you mix it.  I let in run my kitchenaid for at least 10 minutes.  I've found it does better with a one and a half to two hour rise.  A few cooks ago I started dumping the dough onto my working surface by turning the bowl upside down instead of trying to grab the dough out of the bowl by hand. It seems to really help keep the dough airy and stretchable.  I've also found that 3.5 cups of flour is all I need.  It looks like its going to be too wet at first but after @5onia mentioned letting it work longer and letting the the gluten do its thing the dough is perfect if you let it mix long enough.

I usually use water as close to 110 degrees as I can and let my yeast sit in the warm water for a minute or two before mixing it in with everything else.  I think this helps jump start the yeast.

Once the dough is out of the mixer, separate it into 3-4 dough balls.  It is way easier to separate it at this point, then let it rise.  I usually turn my oven on at 170 for 1-2 minutes while I am mixing my dough then turn it off.  This heats the oven slightly (not much) and seems to create a better environment for the dough to rise.  I put my dough into individual bowls, cover in plastic wrap then put in the oven to rise.

Also, I highly suggest NOT using a rolling pin.  A rolling pin will push the air out of the dough and make it very rubbery and unstretchable almost instantly.  I tried rolling one to see what would happen two cooks ago and that dough ball went into the trash.  Last night I divided my dough into 4 dough balls instead of 3 and it seemed to be easier to stretch.  My pizzas might have been a little smaller in diameter, but not by much.  The dough was a little thinner and my pizzas turned out great.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
Maybe I didn't mix it long enough. .maybe 5 minutes. ..on medium with the dough hook...let it rise for a couple hours in a bowl, then separated and let rise for another 30 minutes.
I HAD to use a rolling pin to get it stretched..it was that springy...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:07:40 AM by firedude5015 »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
Maybe I didn't mix it long enough. .maybe 5 minutes. ..on medium with the dough hook...let it rise for a couple hours in a bowl, then separated

I used to rise then separate and found it is much easier to separate, rise, then dump out onto work surface.  If you separate after the rise, you need to let the separated dough rise again for 15-20 minutes.  The longer the better on the second rise.  You'll find that once you separate and let them rise then start stretching the dough, each pizza will stretch better since they have had a little more rise time than the previous one.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »
Thanks Mike...I'll try all that...also thought about cutting the bread flour with a little all purpose. ..less gluten

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
Thanks Mike...I'll try all that...also thought about cutting the bread flour with a little all purpose. ..less gluten

I've only used bread flour so I am not sure what the difference would be with all purpose flour.  I bet @5onia can tell us if there is any advantage of using bread flour over all purpose!

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »
Mikes advice is spot on!! Bread flour has about 14% protein, Italian 00 flour has about 12% protein and all purpose flour has about 10% protein. The more protein in flour the more gluten, the more gluten the more elasticity. I personally use 00 flour if I have it at home or if not I use bread flour. We like a crunchy, crisp pizza. 00 flour is also finer. If you let it rest in between stretching and let the gluten relax you will find it easier to stretch, the dough will work with you instead of against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »
Thanks!...gotta try this weekend

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
I use a 50/50 mix of AP and Bread flour.  My dough is usually pretty easy to shape.

And I totally agree with Mike - mix it at a pretty good speed for about 10 minutes or so

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
Mike!!!!! I owe you a beer brother...and all the others that chimed in...mixed the dough for about 12 minutes,  divided,  let it rise...shaped, topped and HOLY WOW!!!!
Thanks so much much for all the advice and help.

In a side note....I think the Redhead just makes kettle pizzas COOOOOOLLLLL

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

Mike!!!!! I owe you a beer brother...and all the others that chimed in...mixed the dough for about 12 minutes,  divided,  let it rise...shaped, topped and HOLY WOW!!!!
Thanks so much much for all the advice and help.

In a side note....I think the Redhead just makes kettle pizzas COOOOOOLLLLL

Hell yeah!!!!  Glad you were able to get it dialed in! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
Thanks Mike...made a Buffalo chicken pizza,  and a pepperoni with banana peppers...and a plain pepperoni. ..all were awesome!...Love this club and the knowledge shared within.