Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Store bought doughs?  (Read 2185 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Store bought doughs?
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:48:10 AM »
Excited to get started in the kettle pizza making, but don't feel comfortable making my own dough yet.
I'd like to eliminate variables, and get set up and timing down first and then maybe move into making my own doughs
So has anyone tried the trader joes dough?
Or any other that you'd recommend, also thinking of going to one the pizza shops that I like and seeing if I can buy their dough
Thanks in advance all you pizza experts!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Store bought doughs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:05:33 AM »
@WNC , if you have a Publix in your neck of the woods, they make a good dough. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:32:14 AM »
Check your local pizzeria and ask if they sell stretched dough.

I think it's a better choice than store bought, if it's available.

I just found another shop that's on my way home that does it.
Dude, relax your chicken.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
Check your local pizzeria and ask if they sell stretched dough.

I think it's a better choice than store bought, if it's available.

I just found another shop that's on my way home that does it.

This!!!!!  I have a Rosati's Pizza a block away from me that sells pre-stretched dough.  This is always my fallback in case I have a batch of dough come out bad.  Stretching dough is as tricky if not trickier than making it, so this saves you on both fronts.  I think you are very wise to not want to worry about dough while you are getting your fire setup and cook dialed in.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:14:22 AM »
I understand your hesitation, but I would suggest making your own dough.  It is so easy, especially if you have a food processor.   I just found a new recipe that is my new goto.
pre-heat oven to 150 (or lowest you can)  In a Cuisinart= 1/2 cup warm water, 1/4 olive oil, one packet Fast Acting yeast. Let sit for 10-15min. Shut oven off if up to temp.  Slowly add 3 cups BREAD flour (all purpose flour sucks for this I've found) and 1/2 tsp salt with machine on until dough forms a ball and looks sticky.   Spray inside of a mixing bowl with cooking spray (Pam), put ball of dough in and put in oven.   Let rise for about an hour while you get your toppings ready.
If I didn't have a Cuisinart, I'd probably be buying dough to be honest. 
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:16:52 AM »
Forgot to add....the above recipe is tossable/ stretchable but can be rolled out also without any problems
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
I've used the Trader Joe's pizza dough. Really pleased with the results. I will start looking for a local pizza place that sells stretched dough.  Never thought of that. Great idea.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:22:15 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
I have used the dough from Trader Joe's, with good results. Just make sure it has plenty of time to get to room temp. Dough that is too cold will be difficult to work with. 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
I followed the same plan for the same reasons.   Went with TJs dough and the sauce in plastic container right next to the dough on the shelf (not the jar sauce).    Everyone was quite happy with both

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
I took an even easier route for the same reasons. I used pre made take and bake from the deli and s couple frozen pizzas. It was great and an instant success. Really no surprise there as I was just baking a pizza. Have only used the pizzaque once so I'm eager to make dough on my next cook. Good luck on the dough search.

I'm glad I have been getting my feet wet with a couple of pretzel cooks. I'm much less intimidated by dough now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 05:20:07 PM »
First and only store bought I tried was Trader Joe's. I think my problem was it was too cold to work. I wish I'd just made the Bobby Flay dough. It was still a good pie   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.