Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First attempt at kettlepizzas  (Read 2447 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
First attempt at kettlepizzas
« on: March 05, 2017, 05:08:33 PM »
So I picked up a KettlePizza at Walmart like a lot of of other people here. I picked up the pre made dough from Trader joes and sauce from there. I failed to read anything about making my first pizzas just dove in. I loaded up a chimney full of lump and waited for it to ash over. Then poured over some unburnt lump. Waited about 15minutes for stone and kettle to preheat.

I should have used more flour on my doughballs when working by hand and I should have used a rolling pin instead of just flattening by hand. I also did not use enough cornmeal for the dough to release from the peel well enough.
First pie was a total disaster. Scraped it off the stone and tossed in the ash can. 

Second pie slipped off the peel a little better.

Pizzas cook quick. 3 minutes then turn 180° then cook about 2 minutes more and pull them out. Overall we had fun and made some tasty pies. I need a lot more practice at the kettle pizza. I intend on reading up on this a little more before my next attempt. Maybe watch a YouTube video or two also.

searching for a 26.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:12:54 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: First attempt at kettlepizzas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
@Kneab nice first go. Did you add that thermometer?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
@Kneab nice first go. Did you add that thermometer?
I was thinking the same thing about the thermo.

Pies look good bud. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
Third on the thermometer. I'd like to know what kind of mod that is. Keep at the pizza thing. Don't let it frustrate you. Like most cooks, if it's too frustrating and not fun, use the oven or order delivery. I'm sure if you keep at it you'll find a method that works for you.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks fellas. The thermometer was added awhile back. I found it on a Genesis lid on the side of the road on garbage day. Added it to my original OTG. It's a little big but works pretty good.

Here's a better look at it.

searching for a 26.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:45:41 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
Pizzas look awesome!...great 1st attempt in my opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
Very cool.  I'd hit that pizza in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
Very cool setup, love that OTG. What is the date code on the lid vent? Crack any porcelain drilling into the lid?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »
Great first pizza cook.  I think we have all ruined a pizza or two from not enough lube on the peel!  It only took me about 50 pizzas to figure out how to stretch it so that the crust ends up the same thickness and the shape is fairly round.  Welcome to the WKC KPC!  Also, if you go back though this Pizza section of the forums...the oldest 2-3 pages are were a bunch of is first got out KP's last year so there is a lot of good info that a handful of us posted as we were learning.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
Great first pizza cook.  I think we have all ruined a pizza or two from not enough lube on the peel!  It only took me about 50 pizzas to figure out how to stretch it so that the crust ends up the same thickness and the shape is fairly round.  Welcome to the WKC KPC!  Also, if you go back though this Pizza section of the forums...the oldest 2-3 pages are were a bunch of is first got out KP's last year so there is a lot of good info that a handful of us posted as we were learning.

@MikeRocksTheRed , given your considerable experience and expertise in this area, I suggest you change your handle to MikeRocksTheKettlePizza
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »

@MikeRocksTheRed , given your considerable experience and expertise in this area, I suggest you change your handle to MikeRocksTheKettlePizza

LOL!!!!  Thanks @Foster Dahlet.  I should probably change it to MikeRocksTheRedIsOverdueToRuinApizza!  It's been awhile since I've totally ruined a pizza....at least a fully topped pizza.  I had to throw out one dough two cooks ago that was not playing well with others!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 05:33:40 PM »
Nice pies for the 1st cook!