Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which one - SSP or 2nd Gen Performer?  (Read 4529 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Which one - SSP or 2nd Gen Performer?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
I have both and I love my SS Performer!

That being said, keep the g2 model.
It is taller.
The frame is much more sturdy.
The table has more usable space, and you don't have to clear everything off of it to reach the bin.
The 1lb. propane cylinders are much more convenient.

$0.02

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Everything said here I'd second and it's not even close.  SSP's for show because of their classic style but the later models are engineered much better IMO.

Gotta strongly disagree with "Not even close" and "engineered much better".

I base my statement on the rusted starnuts that come on most SSP units that turn up.  I also think that when you have square metal ends butting up against square metal ends instead of bended tubular frames on the Gen 2 onward you have less places for them to rust.  Having to move stuff to get whats in the basket underneath on the SSP as opposed to the flip out basket on the gen 2 plus is an improvement IMO. 

That's what I'm basing my statement on.  We can agree to disagree.  I'm curious what would lead you to say the SSP is engineered as well or that the second gen forward weren't upgrades.

The use of stainless Steel for the tables is a plus for the 1st gen I guess.  The plastic tables definitely suck, so there's that.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
I'll also add that if anyone wants to trade straight up, I've got two blue SSP's, both gas assists work and I'll toss on brand new flip up grates if you want to trade for Gen 2 forward anything with color except green 1 unit for one unit.  I'll also be willing to trade the two Blue SSP's for an Ivory Mastertouch.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:12:04 PM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
yes frames for gen 2 and newer were designed better...the curved tube deisgn is about as rust resistant as possible...but theres no table lid flip action...also the undertable lid design is ingenious on ssp performers.
Grills

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »

It is taller.
The table has more usable space, and you don't have to clear everything off of it to reach the bin.

$0.02

Everything said here I'd second and it's not even close.  SSP's for show because of their classic style but the later models are engineered much better IMO.

I tend to think the industrial heavy duty square tubing frame on the SSP are lot stronger than light duty coat hanger frame grade tubular gen2 frame. Don't get me wrong, Gen 2 frames are strong and sturdy enough with the resin table and the bottom rack to tie the whole frame together. Trust me, SSP frames are lot thicker and heavier than  Gen2.  Designers knew that the Gen1 frame structure were strong enough to have the SS top panel and the bottom rack as not part of the structure, where on Gen 2 the table and the bottom rack are integral part of the structure to make it sturdy.

yes frames for gen 2 and newer were designed better...the curved tube deisgn is about as rust resistant as possible...but theres no table lid flip action...also the undertable lid design is ingenious on ssp performers.

Good point! But I think the Gen 2 were designed better ..... only for Webers bottom $. If Weber to produce both now. Gen 1 would cost way more to produce with 2 piece SS top, more frame parts with star nuts installed, 5lb tank, and other smaller panels and parts.

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »

I'll also be willing to trade the two Blue SSP's for an Ivory Mastertouch.

If we weren't so far apart !!   
Search of Blue or Green MBH

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:43 PM »

for me ssp all the way , but will never get rid of my 2nd gen .
Agree. Ssp for sure but I'll always keep my gen2

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »

It is taller.

$0.02

Gotta strongly disagree with "Not even close" and "engineered much better".

I base my statement on the rusted starnuts that come on most SSP units that turn up.  I also think that when you have square metal ends butting up against square metal ends instead of bended tubular frames on the Gen 2 onward you have less places for them to rust.  Having to move stuff to get whats in the basket underneath on the SSP as opposed to the flip out basket on the gen 2 plus is an improvement IMO. 

That's what I'm basing my statement on.  We can agree to disagree. I'm curious what would lead you to say the SSP is engineered as well or that the second gen forward weren't upgrades.

The use of stainless Steel for the tables is a plus for the 1st gen I guess.  The plastic tables definitely suck, so there's that.

Ok, well, first off, a rotted-frame SSP is less desirable, but that's not a fair apples-apples comparison, imo.

As for the other upgrades- I don't walk out to my grill with two hands/arms loaded with food, plates, beer, cutting board, etc., so the smaller space of the SS top is no problem for me. I don't then forget something that is in the charcoal bin that requires me to clear off the table to raise it.

I don't consider 1# canisters an upgrade. More costly. Less good for the environment.

What else is supposed to be an upgrade? The new metal tables are a real good upgrade, imo.

Oh yeah, at least the SSPs have real Weber wheels. Lol.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
The SSP is the height of the Weber art.  Round elements paired with square ones, plus stainless steel.  It's groundbreaking, and breathtaking.

My plan is thus:  to cook on my SSP until it falls apart.  At which point I will buy a used post-2015 Performer, which is really impressive. 

...of course, I swapped out the post-2015 wide lid bale for the lid bale on my red EZ SSP.  Best of both worlds, IMHO. 
One of the charcoal people.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
I have to agree with Mike. The SSP looks great.

But, when compared with the newer Performers, it does leave a lot to be desired IMO.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »
A red SSP is the most beautiful thing Weber has ever produced IMO.  But in all the Performers I've owned, not one of the SSP frames were anywhere near as solid as the 2nd Gen plus ones.  If this thread has proved anything it's that there is no right or wrong answer.  We use our grills differently so different things we value more.  When I have a grill at the dock, it gets rolled over uneven cement from inside the building to outside so I place a high vale on structural rigidity.  Someone who is keeping a unit in one space wouldn't necessarily be an issue for them.  The walk from the office to where the grill is fired up is a decent way so I keep some key things in the charcoal bin so having access to it without having to juggle the tray of food I've prepped is another priority for me whereas it might not be for someone else.   

There really isn't a right or wrong answer as I previously suggested.  When I first started grilling I thought for sure I just HAD to have cast iron grates, but now after grilling for a while I completely appreciate the ability to easily handle and add charcoal while cooking with the flip up grates.   We're always learning.

SSPs are beautiful for sure, no question about that. I surely didn't mean to offend anyone that owns one.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 02:41:17 AM »

for me ssp all the way , but will never get rid of my 2nd gen .
Agree. Ssp for sure but I'll always keep my gen2

Love that fade^^

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 03:43:22 AM »
On the subject of which one is better designed?  Well... they are 2 completely different animals.  When Weber launched gen1 SSP in 1990, they pulled all the stops by incorporating SS table top, heavy duty frame parts, and propane assist start system that is used to the current models. As I have mentioned, SSP frames are designed to withstand load just as is. On other hand, on gen 2 , all major  parts are designed to be part of the frame structure. That includes bolted table top, secured rack, and the front and back panels.

IMO, design award goes to SSP, then gen2 with SS front panel and blacked out frame, gen4 with metal table, and finally gen3.
To me, both are completely different. I choose to keep em all.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
I have had a bunch of each kind, and I always sell the stainless ones.  I take the new style any day.  I have the latest performer and it's my hands down number one.  I cook on that first and foremost.  I have had a ton of the stainless frames fall apart and collapse in a heap of crap.  I have never had that problem with the gen two and newer.  That being said if you get one that was taken care of, and take care of it, I'm sure it will be fine.  They are both great, but the new one is for me...., I like the bigger lid bale and the metal table, I don't like the little handle in the middle of the stainless table.  I don't like filling the little propane tank.  I like the look of them both.....

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »

Webers rule

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »

If a grill can be sexy than this is it.