Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken cook on a cold night  (Read 2541 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken cook on a cold night
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
I'm made some bob Gibson white sauce (insert joke) for some chicken. I was inspired by 2 things.  The recent video posted at weber grill and watching a show a couple nights ago about northern Alabama white sauce.

I used the new charcoal rails in line for a 2 zone cook. They are fantastic!  Wish they were an inch taller but I wish I was too. What are you going to do. I was mimicking the ranch set ups on the video. Got me thinking, why not mount a handle on the front of a 26 lid?  I'm thinking about doing it. Seems more convenient. Especially on hot cooks when opening the lid frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chicken cook on a cold night
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
Looks good so far. I've been wanting to try that recipe for awhile now.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »
Thanks. 3 out of 4 people liked it so I guess that's not bad.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
How you like the sauce ? I'm from the coast in Alabama and working in the northern part in Huntsville ! The white sauce is a stable up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »

How you like the sauce ? I'm from the coast in Alabama and working in the northern part in Huntsville ! The white sauce is a stable up here.

I loved it even though I'm sure I didn't make it as good as in Alabama. It's tangy and a refreshing change from normal BBQ sauce. My son and daughter really liked it as well. My wife is the tough customer. If it's not sweet baby rays, she doesn't like it. The chicken itself was very juicy. I cooked at around 400 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »

I loved it even though I'm sure I didn't make it as good as in Alabama. It's tangy and a refreshing change from normal BBQ sauce. My son and daughter really liked it as well. My wife is the tough customer. If it's not sweet baby rays, she doesn't like it. The chicken itself was very juicy. I cooked at around 400 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes.

They carry his bottled white sauce in Walmart here. Honestly , I didn't care for it ! The sauces at the local restaurants are very good here though. It's great for chicken. Great looking cook man !

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
Looks good, Hoosier. I like the white sauce. It's just a total different flavor from a regular BBQ sauce. You definitely love to cook on your 26r and probably aren't going to get rid of it. I'd put a handle on it. Does seem like it would make it better/easier functioning.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »
Thanks guys. I gotta say I'm not a fan of cooking whole or half chickens anymore. I cooked the chicken perfect in that the skin was crispy and the breast juicy BUT the legs and thighs are not cooked enough. They were cooked well temp wise but they are too slimy for my liking. I like legs and thighs grilled or fried separately when you can cook the crap out of them and render the fat. Nobody in my house eats the legs and thighs when cooked whole. I like grilling all the individual parts bone in skin on.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 04:50:57 AM »
Thanks guys. I gotta say I'm not a fan of cooking whole or half chickens anymore. I cooked the chicken perfect in that the skin was crispy and the breast juicy BUT the legs and thighs are not cooked enough. They were cooked well temp wise but they are too slimy for my liking. I like legs and thighs grilled or fried separately when you can cook the crap out of them and render the fat. Nobody in my house eats the legs and thighs when cooked whole. I like grilling all the individual parts bone in skin on.

I'm with you on the whole chicken! I like them ok slow smoked whole . Have you tried spatchcock chicken ? I haven't but want to soon !

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 05:08:22 AM »
In my mind spatchcock is the way to go. The one time I borrowed my buddies rotisserie it was good but a lot of prep and cleanup. I think spatchcock is just as good and it's real easy. My first attempt sucked, with practice I've gotten better.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 05:23:38 AM »
I have done spatchcock as well.  That's basically the same as I did last night only I separated the halves completely. Still the same result imo. In order to have a great juicy breast, the legs and thighs don't cook enough for my liking and the connective skin/tissue doesn't get the same heat and smoke. This is mostly personal preference but  have finally figured out I just plain like the parts cooked separate (unless the whole bird is deep fried in a turkey fryer). Can't beat that imo.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:57 AM »
Do you buy a whole chicken and cut it up or buy it already cut up? I don't know how to cut up a chicken. My grandfather could have done it in his sleep. I should have paid more attention as a kid.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 06:03:49 AM »

Do you buy a whole chicken and cut it up or buy it already cut up? I don't know how to cut up a chicken. My grandfather could have done it in his sleep. I should have paid more attention as a kid.

If I'm spatchcocking or cooking halves then yes, I start whole and cut. I didn't know how either. I learned off of YouTube a few years ago. There are several tutorial videos on it. I use a set of kitchen shears. I haven't tried it with a knife.

On a similar note, I recall you making turkey breasts on the grill. That's what I plan on doing for both chicken and turkey. However, I still love the wings on a whole bird or by themselves. That would be the only thing I would miss.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:52 AM »
I take that back. I'll probably still do a whole turkey and use the thigh and leg for stock,soup, and turkey and noodles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »
Turkey breast is easier for me on the 22. I'd like to spatchcock a turkey but I'd probably need a 26er. Someday...