Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dropped a lid  (Read 3494 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dropped a lid
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
I bought a dark green SSP for short money a few years ago which I disassembled for storage but the bowl and lid were handy.  The lid was mint (replaced by previous owner), but the bowl had a spot where one of the lid bale bolts pulled through the bowl and I was cooking pizza so I figured, why stress out one of the pretty kettles with high heat?  I had a Gen 2 performer that I'd taken the bowl out of (about to transport it to its new home) and just dropped in the bowl and lid. Went to put the lid down on the table, adjusted the pizza, and the damn thing fell off the end of the table.  I cursed, kept cooking, went to shuffle pizza, and had the darn thing fall off the end again!!!  Two "Pac Man" style blemishes on a mint lid.

Moral of the story:  DO NOT put 22" lids on the end of Gen 2 tables.  They are almost perfectly sized to look like they are stable and then if you breathe on them they fall off the round end.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »

I hang lids by the lid hook all the time.  Never dropped one yet.

An observation that I have made over the years:

I make sure the lid is hanging between 2 legs, and not on the leg.  <<< This is very important.
I have noticed that when it hangs on the leg, the hook is pushed out more, and just barely holding on.
Much more susceptible to being nudged off and … falling.  YMMV

I haven't dropped a lid yet, but I did close a garage door on a kettle.

@Darko , I have come close to doing this … Thankfully not yet.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 01:54:20 PM »
I say just sell these regular kettles and get one that has the lid bale. If you must use the lid hook, hang it on the handle. Also, these things bend over time so make sure they are actually hook shaped. before using them.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »
I use the lid hook all the time, might be time to bust out the slide a side, I don't want to be able to contribute a story to this thread...[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »
This thread is awesome.  I had a lot of good laughs. Thank you!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;