Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on my WSM  (Read 2881 times)

BBQ_Skit

• Happy Cooker
First cook on my WSM
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
I did my first cook yesterday on my new wsm and had a couple of questions for you vets.  I seasoned it a few different times before throwing a couple of baby back slabs on yesterday.
1. I noticed a yellowish-orange film inside the lid. Is this normal?
2. The bottoms of my ribs were much darker than ribs I'd cooked before on my kettle with slow n sear. Is this from the meat being directly over the heat source?
3. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of smoke ring on the ribs. I used 4 chunks of apple wood and cooked using the 2-2-1 method. I did have the wood on while I was getting the wsm to temperature. Should I have added there wood when I put the meat on?
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: First cook on my WSM
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Those ribs actually look pretty good. Now as to your questions, did you use water? Also what temp were you cooking at? Here's an article from Amazing Ribs about the smoke ring. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

BBQ_Skit

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »
Thanks JDann24, they tasted pretty good too. Yes, I did use water. Filled the bowl halfway with hot water. And there cook was between 225-240 the whole time.

weber_tim

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
I did my first cook yesterday on my new wsm and had a couple of questions for you vets.  I seasoned it a few different times before throwing a couple of baby back slabs on yesterday.
1. I noticed a yellowish-orange film inside the lid. Is this normal?
2. The bottoms of my ribs were much darker than ribs I'd cooked before on my kettle with slow n sear. Is this from the meat being directly over the heat source?
3. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of smoke ring on the ribs. I used 4 chunks of apple wood and cooked using the 2-2-1 method. I did have the wood on while I was getting the wsm to temperature. Should I have added there wood when I put the meat on?
Any suggestions are appreciated!

How many coals would u start off with for that temperature

Sent from my SM-N920T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQ_Skit

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
Did the minion method with 17 lit coals

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »
On my 18" WSM I use a mod-Minion method (fill the coal ring with KBB, take 20-30 from the center, when hot put back in the center  ...  wood chunks in & on the un-lit coals).  I use a empty water pan fully lined with foil (my WSM moderates the temp easily w/o water and I never chase a smoke ring).  Nearly always cook on the upper cooking grate w/ a drip pan below the ribs on the lower grate (often full of beans, etc).  I usually target 225-250 for 5-6 hrs, but I check after 4 hrs for the droop indicating done.  I've never used the 2-2-1 or the 2-3-1 or the 3-1-1, just put em on and let em cook.

I've never noticed any color film on the smoker.

Here's a sample from the past:

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
The yellow orange color is from the water steaming in the pan. I never use water in mine and its dark black inside. One day I got caught in the rain smoking and when I opened the smoker the lid and mid section was covered in a rusty color. Rain water leaked inside while it was cooking. I don't think it hurts anything but I washed mine out because I didn't like the looks of it

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »
They look damn fine from here!

Yeah, I just cover the water pan with aluminum foil. Water gets nasty. All I do with the water pan is make it a heat baffle. Some folks put sand in them as an additional heat sink to the equation... I have never tried it tho.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
http://www.kbq.us/smoke-ring/

There are a few factors that can effect the smoke ring. Give this a read
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.