Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KillaGrilla Heavy Duty Flip Up Grates (304 SS)  (Read 11351 times)

Cellar2ful

KillaGrilla Heavy Duty Flip Up Grates (304 SS)
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
My KillaGrilla arrived.Wow. I am impressed. These things are really thick.  I love the look of them. Here are some comparative pictures. 

In the pictures are a the KillaGrilla SS grate, Weber SS grate,  and the insert from a Weber GBS grate.

On the left is the KillaGrilla grate, center is the GBS insert and on the right is the Weber SS grate

Close up you can really see the diameter difference. This is the KillaGrilla grate vs a GBS insert.

As I figured,  fewer rods on the KillaGrilla grate cooking surface due to the extra thickness of the rods. Weber SS grate - 22 rods between flip ups, KillaGrilla grate -17 rods between flip ups

This is the Weber SS grate on the ol' redhead

And the KillaGrilla. 

So I bought some Wagu rib eye steaks. Usually I would have cooked them on my dedicated searing kettle with the GBS grate and CI searing insert. Figured this would be a great opportunity to break in and see how the new KillaGrilla grate performs.  Wow.

Mind you, these grill marks are from a SS rod grate, not CI.

What is most impressive is the inside of the meat.  It almost looked like a reverse sear. Very little intrusion of the sear past the outer crust. That could have been from my first time use of Kingsford Competition High Heat Briquettes.   

I apologize for not getting a photo of the steaks on the grill but I was on my third glass of wine.  I was lucky to get this picture of the meat cut open, halfway through my meal.

For me, this grate is worth every bit of the $75 price. Yes, there are other 304 SS grates for less money, but non have the look of these KillaGrilla grates, nor can you get sear marks like this from a standard SS grate. Long time WKC member @argentflame stopped by my house today and he was so impressed he is going to order one.  Not for everyone but there is no other product out there like this right now.  This grate is awesome. The pictures do not really do it justice.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:54:04 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: KillaGrilla Heavy Duty Flip Up Grates (304 SS)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Fantastic review.   I was impressed with this heavy duty SS grate when I found out about it late last year.  Nice of you to get one and try it out for rest of us.

Not anytime soon, but after your assessment, this will be my next grate purchase.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »
As if I did't already have problems with losing a few asparagus pieces between the grates.....LOL.  Great review.  I've always been impressed with how much heavier the GBS grate is and this looks a ton more substantial.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
Really great review. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 01:17:04 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to do a thorough review!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 01:40:32 AM »
Jim I just noticed that the grate handles on the killagrilla grate look straight instead of bent like the Weber grates. Do you have any problems hanging the grate while doing setup and prep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
Jim I just noticed that the grate handles on the killagrilla grate look straight instead of bent like the Weber grates. Do you have any problems hanging the grate while doing setup and prep?

I actually have never hung the grate.  My dedicated BBQ area is in a narrow area between my house and detached garage.  I just stand it on a brick and lean the grate up against the downspout from my rain gutter. 

I just went out and checked my grate.  Although not as pronounced as the Weber grate, the Killa Grilla does have a slight bend to it.  It hung on both my bowl handle and lid bail without falling off. The bigger problem comes in the weight of the grill hanging from something.  These things weight about 6 lbs. 

You can see the slight bend in this comparative image.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:45:07 PM by Cellar2ful »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 05:46:34 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for checking. 6lbs. That's heavy duty.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »
Can't understand  the justification why  weber just don't  sell different  sizes and gauge of ss grates. The plated grates are horrible. Was replacing them twice a year  to the point that i stopped using them about 4 yrs ago.  Never thrown out any of the ss grates  yet.  Maybe it's  a business decision so they call sell as a replacements.  Have no problem paying  3x the cost of ss.  Heck i once paid a welder $300 to custom build 2 sets of 3/16" ss grates.  I know ss is quite poor in terms of heat retention but you don't have to spend so much time maintaining or constantly replacing it. Also noticed so many weber kettle owners  abandoning/refuse to use their grills because they resent the unsightly rust issue.

JV

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:40 AM »
@Cellar2ful , how are these holding up to high heat? My Weber hinged grates get killed by the heat from charcoal baskets and the slow & sear......I am constantly dealing with preliminary rust in the area on the grates that sit above the charcoal.  Does killa grilla solve this problem?
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 05:31:51 PM »
@Cellar2ful , how are these holding up to high heat? My Weber hinged grates get killed by the heat from charcoal baskets and the slow & sear......I am constantly dealing with preliminary rust in the area on the grates that sit above the charcoal.  Does killa grilla solve this problem?

This is what the grate looks like currently after 7 months of use. Smoke stained but no rust or corrosion whatsoever. This kettle and grate gets used 4 or 5 nights a week. The other 2 or 3 nights of the week I use my other cooking kettle that has the Weber GBS grate with the CI sear grate. Awesome product.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »

This is what the grate looks like currently after 7 months of use. Smoke stained but no rust or corrosion whatsoever. This kettle and grate gets used 4 or 5 nights a week. The other 2 or 3 nights of the week I use my other cooking kettle that has the Weber GBS grate with the CI sear grate. Awesome product.

thank you for the help!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
@cellar2ful

So I was wondering if after using these all year if you still recommend these grates, how they have worn or anything else.
I’m getting the “What do you want for Christmas” question and find that I generally use the same one or two grates in all the kettles.
I was thinking about a good, heavy duty grate for every day cooking.
Thanks in advance, bud.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »

@Travis -  I've had my Killa Grilla grate for 9 months now.  I love it.  Like I answered Foster Dahlet back in August, this grate gets used 4 or 5 times a week.  Other than the smoke and grease build up around the edges and flip ups, I think it is in fantastic condition.   You will be amazed how easy cleaning it is compared to the plated grates.  I highly recommend purchasing one. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
Will this one spin around on the support tabs without getting caught?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch