Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KillaGrilla Heavy Duty Flip Up Grates (304 SS)  (Read 11333 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: KillaGrilla Heavy Duty Flip Up Grates (304 SS)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 03:55:59 PM »

@addicted-to-smoke - Yes. It spins without hitting the grate tabs.  BTW, Killa Grilla also makes a single side flip up grate for use with a Slow N Sear in a 22" and 26" size.   I am so impressed with the performance of my 22" I am ordering an 18" for Robigus, my 18" WW.

Here is a link to their grates on Etsy:               https://www.etsy.com/shop/KillaGrilla

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah I saw the other thread here about both the KillaGrilla and SnS single-flip grates for the 22. I didn't realize KillaGrilla also now has an 18 cook grate.

Some might also be interested in the Kettle Kommander 18 SS grate. Also from 304, it's hinged and only $29, nearly half the cost of the one from KillaGrilla, but made in China. https://kettlekommander.com/collections/hinged-grill-grates/products/hinged-stainless-steel-grate-for-18-kettle-grill I bought their half-grate for the 18 but it'll be awhile before my lone 18 is back in service in order to check it out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
By far the best 22.5 ss grate out there. 

JV

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »

All Killa Grilla grates are $10 off  this month using the code December through their website. 

http://killagrilla.com/

Rings Я Us

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
I have read that for charcoal grills and smoking that it is likely better to use the cheap smaller bar grates. Your product gets more smoke and better even temps. I think I read results and comparison in Amazingribs site or something.

Sent from my H1611 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rings Я Us

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
I have read that for charcoal grills and smoking that it is likely better to use the cheap smaller bar grates. Your product gets more smoke and better even temps. I think I read results and comparison in Amazingribs site or something.

I'm trying to get as much info in as I can..
Great write up. Thanks for sharing!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
With the addition of the ABC Barbecue Easy Spin SS grate, I wanted to add some observations to this thread.

I now own and have used all three of the SS grates.  Weber, Killa Grilla and ABC easy spin.  I prefer and like the look of the Killa Grilla grates.  They do leave larger grill marks on your food but I actually like that.  I find the Killa Grilla grate easier to clean than the Weber or ABC Easy Spin. With Killa Gilla using larger diameter rods and larger spacing between the rods, it equates to less rods. IMO, less rods and larger spacing makes them easier to clean.   Weber uses the same larger diameter SS rods on their top of the line Summit Series gas grills.  So does Viking, Lynx and Blaze on their gas grills.  Got to be a reason for it.

Here is a rod count per grate of each of the SS grates I have:

Killa Grilla  - 25

ABC           -35 

Weber       -34

The Killa Grilla grate handles are positioned such that they spin just like the ABC grate. If you are going to be doing a lot of cold grate cooking, the ABC grates are easier to spin or turn when hot than the much heavier Killa Grilla grates.  If you use a Slow n' Sear, you'll definitely want the SS Easy Spin grate to go with it. 

As of this posting, ABC does not offer a two door hinged SS grate. Their grate is designed to be used with the ABC Slow 'n Sear. Something to keep in mind if you like to cook indirect with your food in the middle,  with coals on both sides. This requires you to spin the grate to add briquettes on longer cooks.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:07:43 PM by Cellar2ful »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
Will this one spin around on the support tabs without getting caught?
Caught on the tabs or on the lid bale nuts?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
Will this one spin around on the support tabs without getting caught?
Caught on the tabs or on the lid bale nuts?

My question was already answered but I was asking at the time about the tabs, i.e. grate support strap.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »
Glad I found this thread. Lots of grate reviews for the KillaGrilla. Sounds like if I get one I won’t be needing a replacement grill grate for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 05:01:50 AM »
Bumping this up to see if anyone can provide a long term use update for either the killa grilla or ABC grate.  @Cellar2ful ?
Drew Z.
Ivory SSP, A-Code CGA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, Snap On GA,  3-burner Genny Jr., Pat. Pending Aristocrat, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, S-320, GGA

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 05:10:23 AM »
That's a seriously nice piece of grill grate
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:57 AM »
Drew, just get it!

I got to see my dad's KillaGrilla 22" grate this past weekend. The build quality is impeccable. Just looking at how the steel on the flip up hinge is rolled I was sold! I am buying one for my Fleetwood.

I will say though...the fit is a touch more snug than a standard grate. Off hand I tried to "spin" it like the ABC grate and it didn't really want to. So if you want to spin and do the cold grate....get the ABC grate.

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »
Drew, just get it!

I got to see my dad's KillaGrilla 22" grate this past weekend. The build quality is impeccable. Just looking at how the steel on the flip up hinge is rolled I was sold! I am buying one for my Fleetwood.

I will say though...the fit is a touch more snug than a standard grate. Off hand I tried to "spin" it like the ABC grate and it didn't really want to. So if you want to spin and do the cold grate....get the ABC grate.

Interesting on the spin-ability.  That may impact my decision as my main cooker is a Red LE / SSP.  The screws that attach the brackets to the bowl might make it difficult remove and replace the grate if the fit is too tight.

Drew Z.
Ivory SSP, A-Code CGA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, Snap On GA,  3-burner Genny Jr., Pat. Pending Aristocrat, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, S-320, GGA

Cellar2ful

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
Bumping this up to see if anyone can provide a long term use update for either the killa grilla or ABC grate.  @Cellar2ful ?

My Killa Grilla grate are 2 1/2 years old now.  The 22" gets used probably 4 or 5 times a week and my 18" gets used the other 2 or 3 days. No signs of rust or pitting from food acids anywhere.  The flip up doors are still holding up well, even though they are continually over the high heat of the coals and wood chunks.  These photos are the condition of the grates as of this morning.

22" KIlla Grilla grate

18" Killa Grilla grate

As for spinning the grate, the Killa Grilla does spin but IMO it is the weight of these grates that makes it difficult to spin them.  They are 9 lbs.  I can spin mine but I have to put on a pair of gloves.  They are difficult to spin using tongs.  When I am cooking meat that requires spinning a grate for searing,  I use my kettle that has the SNS, paired with a ABC Easy Spin SS grate.  The ABC grates are feather light compared to a Killa Grilla grate and are easily spun using tongs.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:50:11 PM by Cellar2ful »