Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Vortex Cook  (Read 1505 times)

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
First Vortex Cook
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
First off, huge thanks to @Ken Mc for gifting me the vortex as part of the Secret Santa Exchange.

I've had a craving for some wings for about a week now that I've haven't been able to scratch. Wings are defiantly at or near the top of my list of favorite things to cook on the kettle. Temps have been hovering around 31-38 degrees all day here in my area, but I'm not going to let a little cold weather stop me.

I rolled my 18.5 Sam Adams out and lit about 3/4 full chimney of KBB. I wasn't exactly sure on how much charcoal would fit in the small vortex so I just guessed. Turns out, I was a short, but whatever. Things wings went on naked straight from the package.

Today's sauces of choice of Louisiana Original Wing Sauce and Louisiana Honey Mustard Wing Sauce.

Typically, I cook the wings for about an hour and check to see if they have the right color and texture that I like. I like them a bit crispy, so I tend to overcook them a tad. The wet sauce take care of any dryness caused by the overcooking. I sauce them once I'm satisfied, throw them back on for about ten minutes, then throw them back in the same sauce bowl for one last shake. Here they after right before I pulled them for the last time.

This wings came out AWESOME! I was very impressed with vortex and it even cut down on my normal cook time. This wings stayed on for about an hour. With baskets, they normally go for about an hour and a half. I can't wait to use this bad boy again.

Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: First Vortex Cook
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 06:56:13 PM »
Looks great😁. Love me some yardbird.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Looking really good. I still have the poor mans vortex, weber baskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
Looking really good. I still have the poor mans vortex, weber baskets.

Nothing wrong with the weber baskets. I like to use mine with the GBS grate with center section removed and they work fine.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Looks great man! Always wanted to try that sauce. Have to pull the trigger now. Damn, between you and @iCARRY I'm hungry for some damn wings!! [emoji39]

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
The Louisiana Original Sauce is my favorite traditional sauce by far. The Honey Mustard was interesting. It had a sweet taste with just a hint of spice. It'll slide into the rotation though.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »
Nice cook!  Welcome to the wonder world of vortex wings!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 02:26:34 AM »
They look fantastic!  I haven't been buying them lately because thighs have been so much cheaper but I may have to bite the bullet!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 02:37:41 AM »
Doesn't get any better than Vortex wings!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »
Vortex + wings = Winner winner chicken dinner! YUM! Nicely done!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

weber_tim

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
Look n  good

Sent from my SM-N920T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app