Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Razor Scraper Debate- Long Handle vs Short Handle  (Read 3643 times)

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
Re: Razor Scraper Debate- Long Handle vs Short Handle
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
I use the same as kneab.  This has worked great for me. I keep meaning to get a rigid handle version but haven't yet.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
I use the little cheapy one from ACE as well.   It does close sometime, so I just keep pressure against it so it doesn't close.  Works fine for me.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

glend123

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 03:54:19 AM »
I like short. Better control over the sharp edge and safer for the user I believe.

This is what I use. It closes itself sometimes if you push too hard, but it's really quick for blade changes. I change out blades alot when scraping out a kettle. I got it at Ace Hardware for $5 and it's made in the USA.

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

I had the same scraper from ACE.  Piece of garbage.  Mine also kept closing, so I threw it away, and found a couple similar ones at a garage sale that are older but made much better.  I like the look of the short one pictured above. the handle is much more ergonomically friendly on your hands.
22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:20 AM »
I like short. Better control over the sharp edge and safer for the user I believe.

This is what I use. It closes itself sometimes if you push too hard, but it's really quick for blade changes. I change out blades alot when scraping out a kettle. I got it at Ace Hardware for $5 and it's made in the USA.

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

I had the same scraper from ACE.  Piece of garbage.  Mine also kept closing, so I threw it away, and found a couple similar ones at a garage sale that are older but made much better.  I like the look of the short one pictured above. the handle is much more ergonomically friendly on your hands.
I have an older one that I misplaced somewhere in my garage. It looks like the Ace Hardware one but the top is slightly more rounded and much older.  Someday I will find it. That one doesn't close when you lean into it.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 04:54:06 AM »
It closes itself sometimes if you push too hard...  Mine also kept closing, so I threw it away.

YMMV, but I use the same style scraper, and found when I use it "button down" it stays open. When I scrape with the button up, it's a PITA.
Retired

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »
Mine doesn't close on me. There is a spot where the slider locks into place. If it isn't locked it will close. Also, I noticed if it's extended all the way and not locked into place it will close. This is my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.