Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: German Pretzels  (Read 7206 times)

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Re: German Pretzels
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 01:10:22 AM »
I saw that post aswell, will give it a try !!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »
Ok. Anyone want to try this?? I would.
I saw this too, commented and just thought how cool and out of the box kind of grilling is this!
Here's a thought. After the super bowl (feb 5) is done, anyone who wants to try this, comment on this post that you're in. Then, let's say the following weekend we all post our efforts of making a pretzel. That would be feb 12 and gives us all a week to get ingredients, and make something happen.
Doesn't mean you have to make it and post on the 12. Just post it on the 12. Just for fun.
If that's something that we would like to try, tag someone in and let's see who we can get involved.
@Cellar2ful @Jeff @MikeRockTheRed @Vwbuggin64 @RottiGuy @Darko @kettlebb @HoosierKettle @Bobbq @crowderjd @swamprb @wessonjb @Mr.CPHo @captjoe06 @varekai @Mr.Hoss @kemmons

List more fella's. @ guys from your area. These are just a few I know how to spell...

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »

Ok. Anyone want to try this?? I would.
I saw this too, commented and just thought how cool and out of the box kind of grilling is this!
Here's a thought. After the super bowl (feb 5) is done, anyone who wants to try this, comment on this post that you're in. Then, let's say the following weekend we all post our efforts of making a pretzel. That would be feb 12 and gives us all a week to get ingredients, and make something happen.
Doesn't mean you have to make it and post on the 12. Just post it on the 12. Just for fun.
If that's something that we would like to try, tag someone in and let's see who we can get involved.
@Cellar2ful @Jeff @MikeRockTheRed @Vwbuggin64 @RottiGuy @Darko @kettlebb @HoosierKettle @Bobbq @crowderjd @swamprb @wessonjb @Mr.CPHo @captjoe06 @varekai @Mr.Hoss @kemmons

List more fella's. @ guys from your area. These are just a few I know how to spell...

I'll give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
Thats a look ALL of us know well I'm sure!!...LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
German Pretzels
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
@Mr.Hoss Come on you ol' ball buster. Give it a try. Who knows, you might have fun! You do cook on those pretty kettles, don't ya...
That's me, bustin back a little [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:04:49 PM by Travis »

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
For those who don't want to deal with the lye solution, here is an alternative. Make some "baked soda" out of baking soda. I happened to get a free issue of Cooks Illustrated this month and they had a small section about this. I didn't want to type it all out so I did a Google and found the same technique in this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/dining/15curious.html

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »
Sooooooo.....I'm going to have to wait to do this until spring time (that means longer sunny days for those in SoCal). I'll let you know what/where/why after it happens. Don't worry, all good.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
Got my lye in the mail today, time to get my german pretzel game on!

Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
I like how it says poison!  Yum...pretzels :)
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 07:06:12 PM »
@crowderjd , RIGHT? You bathe your pretzel in it, cook and EAT...LOL

but it does say FOOD GRADE..LOL

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 01:03:58 AM »
Just wanted to say Hello and thanks Jim (Bill lol) for the invite. Looks like a great forum can't wait to have a good look around.

Can't wait to see your pretzels and please be careful with the lye and remember to only use glass  or stainless steel with the lye. If you have any questions just yell out [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:07 AM »
@5onia Hello and welcome! You should swing over to the intro page and say hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »

Hi @5onia and welcome to the Forum. Glad you decided to join us.   5onia is the author of this German Pretzel recipe from Facebook.  Look forward to seeing some of your other "Mad" baking culinary creations here.   BTW, congratulations on scoring your 3rd kettle in only three weeks of owning a Weber.            Jim/Bill 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »
I think I'm in.  :o  Going to need Regan's brother in law Dennis to help me out on this one.  He actually has a ton of firebricks leftover from when he built his wood fired pizza oven, so I am thinking I might have to go along with @varekai and try this out on my ranch kettle.  Not sure if my first real cook where I have to try to keep the temp dialed in is a good idea, but why not.  It sounds like its one of those cooks that takes some prep time so I might as well make as many pretzels as I can in case the cook turns out good!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »
Holy crap!!!!  MAKE SURE YOU GET FOOD GRADE!  This is the first one that came up on Amazon when I searched for "caustic soda".  Down in the question section when someone asks if its food grade the answer was that it was more "TECH Grade".  LOL

Look at the product description.  Sounds like something that probably shouldn't even be shipped safely.

Pure: Sodium Hydroxide, LYE, Caustic Soda Beads.
Thousands of uses! Chemical processing, soaps and detergents, water treatment, pulp and paper, petroleum industries, Drain Opener, etc
Sodium Hydroxide | CAS:#1310-73-2
Cleaning - In liquid form, it is used to de-clog drains, dissolve metals and strip paint off a surface. It can also be used to de-grease Stainless steel and glass bake ware.
Made in the USA. Non clumping.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!