Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: German Pretzels  (Read 7209 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: German Pretzels
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »
I'm hoping to do them this weekend.  My potentially future brother in law Dennis hasn't committed yet and I really want to do them on my ranch that is at his house.  And I don't have malt yet, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere around here.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
German Pretzels
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »
Pretty excited for this one. Momma, the kids and myself are gonna make some Sunday morning before we go out for the day. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:20:53 PM by Travis »

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
Here are some I made in the oven a couple months ago. I used the baking soda method like I do when making pretzel buns. These turned out amazing, but you guys with your legit recipes, ingredients, and cooking on a kettle will knock it out of the park. Hope you all enjoy your cook, I know I will enjoy watchin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
@WEBERNV , THOSE look awesome!! I hope I can get that close. Whats the second pic, like pretzel bites or nuggets!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
Yeah, they are pretzel bites. Same exact recipe, just cut them about 1" long instead of braiding them into a pretzel. Nothing beats hot homemade bread, pretzel or not. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 09:08:57 PM »

Yeah, they are pretzel bites. Same exact recipe, just cut them about 1" long instead of braiding them into a pretzel. Nothing beats hot homemade bread, pretzel or not. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

We (Dennis and I) kind of decided that while pretzels are cool we'll do buns or either pretzel sticks or baguette style next time.  It was a bit of pain to handle the formed pretzels and the shape is just for show and doesn't affect taste when it's all said and done. Pretzel bites sounds awesome as well.  I'm thinking a good production line where one persons is making the bites then handing them off you the other person who is gloved up and not wearing the recommended safety goggles to do the lye dip would be pretty efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »

This is a recipe and photos posted on the Facebook page Weber Kettle Fans. It was posted by "grillgal"  Sonia Harvy of Australia. Maybe some of you have already done this but thought I would pass this along if anyone is adventuresome. Might have to attempt this.

Pretzel recipe
1 kilo bread flour
40 grams malt ( can substitute sugar)
70 grams butter
22 grams salt
14 grams dried yeast
470 grams water

I just mix all of the ingredients into a firm ball for about 10 minutes, let rise covered till dough doubles in size. Shape and let them rise covered for 20/30 minutes. Then put them into the fridge for one hour uncovered. While in the fridge they will form a skin and go hard and this makes them easier to handle when dipping. Remove from fridge and dip into lye bath and bake at 200 degrees c for 20-25 minutes, till golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.  I just set the kettle up for indirect cooking with pizza stones in the middle. Heated stones for 30 minutes and kept the temp at 200 deg c and baked for 25 mins.

Lye 1 liter COLD WATER add 35 grams of food grade caustic soda and stir till dissolved in a GLASS BOWL

Warning caustic soda is dangerous if not handled correctly!!!! You could always do a baking soda bath like bagels. They won't have the deep colour or flavour of lye but still a nice pretzel [emoji106]

Do you want to edit your first post in this thread with the links to the pretzel cooks so anyone searching for this in the future who lands here will find the cooks we did?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »

@MikeRocksTheRed- That's a great idea. Tomorrow I will post links to all 4 of you guys that threw down for the pretzel challenge. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 05:22:41 AM »
@Cellar2ful , is there a thread on your wood frame that your kettle is on?  I would like to see more of that.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 05:56:10 AM »
@Cellar2ful , is there a thread on your wood frame that your kettle is on?  I would like to see more of that.

The pictures and the kettle in the wood frame table are actually from @5onia
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »
I agree @MikeRocksTheRed the shape of the pretzel has no bearing on weather or not they taste any good! I did these pretzel buns and they were fantastic. All my pretzel shenanigans have been with baking soda, I dont know if I have tbe guts to play with lye like you guys!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
I agree @MikeRocksTheRed the shape of the pretzel has no bearing on weather or not they taste any good! I did these pretzel buns and they were fantastic. All my pretzel shenanigans have been with baking soda, I dont know if I have tbe guts to play with lye like you guys!

Those look great, man! I didn't bother with the pretzels shape either on my attempt other than one or two. I was concentrating on the measurements more than anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
I totally agree any shape pretzel tastes awesome! Tho never say that to a German!! [emoji23] different regions in Germany all have different shapes and are very fussy if they aren't shaped right lol

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2017, 06:43:50 PM »

Just found a photo that shows the whole timber trolley.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
That looks like a nice set up. Nice outside space you have there too!