Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Big Ass Brisket Flat!  (Read 1927 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Big Ass Brisket Flat!
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
So my family, in-laws included, have been insisting that I do a Brisket for the Super Bowl. Went to Sams yesterday and found a really nice flat. I don't know if I've seen one this big before and it's got a nice even thickness from end to end.

I'll probably be doing this on the pellet grill (insert Boo Hiss here) just because the family really likes the briskets I've turned out on it. They like a milder smoke than charcoal tends to give. When the weather gets a little better, like a little friggin sun for example, I'll do one on charcoal to suit my own tastes. Anyway, wanted to post since this one looks so pretty. [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:42:40 AM by mcgolden »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Big brisket flat!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
I am personally not a big brisket fan which makes the length of time they take to smoke seem even longer when I have done them....so I have no problem with you using your pellet smoker.  That sucker is going to take a while!  Very cool that it is fairly even thickness.   Good luck!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Big Ass Brisket Flat!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
That's a nice looking flat, and BIG for a flat... at least around here. Good luck with it!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
I am personally not a big brisket fan which makes the length of time they take to smoke seem even longer when I have done them....so I have no problem with you using your pellet smoker.  That sucker is going to take a while!  Very cool that it is fairly even thickness.   Good luck!!!

Yeah, not sure how long this big boy is going to take.  On the pellet, smaller flats usually take about 6 hours, which is a good bit less than what I find on the Weber.  I'm trying to figure out if it'll take any longer than a smaller brisket of the same thickness would take.  I'll just have to start it a little early and if it doesn't take longer, then I'll keep it in the cooler for a few hours.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »

Yeah, not sure how long this big boy is going to take.  On the pellet, smaller flats usually take about 6 hours, which is a good bit less than what I find on the Weber.  I'm trying to figure out if it'll take any longer than a smaller brisket of the same thickness would take.  I'll just have to start it a little early and if it doesn't take longer, then I'll keep it in the cooler for a few hours.

Sounds like you have it all under control.  I've only done 2-3 briskets and it seems each one cooked at a much different rate and it didn't seem to be based on weight at all.  Maybe I should have said nicer things to my second two when I was prepping them so they would be more cooperative!  LOL
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
Yup, start early. No two briskets cook the same. The cooler and towels are your friend in an early finish situation. In a late finish situation, well, hungry guests will REALLY enjoy the meal.  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:34:52 PM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
That's a nice looking piece of meat!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Very nice looking flat. Good luck on the cook.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »
Doing a 12 lb brisket today and the temperature has been holding steady at 275...looks like it will finish in 9 hrs.  Last brisket was 17 lbs...14 hours.  Seems to me that the sweet spot for briskets is 10-12 pounds.  I can count on about a 10 hr cook.  Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
Doing a 12 lb brisket today and the temperature has been holding steady at 275...looks like it will finish in 9 hrs.  Last brisket was 17 lbs...14 hours.  Seems to me that the sweet spot for briskets is 10-12 pounds.  I can count on about a 10 hr cook.  Good luck with yours!

Thanks. Was yours a full packer? I've found flats seem to take less time.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »
Because of the size of brisket, I like to use a stick burner, I think the 22 in ch kettle I have is just to small to get a good separation of direct heat. Now I have done 1/2 briskets to good effect on the kettle, but I still prefer the stick burner

oh that is a great looking brisket, my mouth is watering
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »
Briskets coming along nicely. Got it on at around 7:45 this morning after injecting and applying rub.

Reached 155 degrees after about 3 hrs.

It's foiled now until it reaches about 195 to 200.