Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket question  (Read 902 times)

Erictag

• WKC Brave
Brisket question
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
When picking up this weekends Brisket, the stock available were shaped different than I have seen before- big, tall Point with a Flat that is very thin at the last third, furthest from the Point.  I am concerned the thinest part of the Flat will be dried out after cooking.  Should I cut off the thinest part of the Flat before smoking?  Or is this actually not a concern?

Your feedback is appreciated!

Eric

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Brisket question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »
I always try to find a brisket with a thick flat. The thin ones do seem to dry out . You can inject the flat with beef broth and Worcestershire to help it retain moisture. I wouldn’t cut it off personally. You can always save it for chili or taco meat if it does dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Brisket question
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
One advantage of splitting the flat and point is you reduce your cook time and gain more bark. Yeah that’s 2 advantages I know but here’s another, you can pull the flat before it dries out and chunk some point for burnt ends.

I don’t smoke large pieces anymore to save time and the results are better IMO. I like bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »

One advantage of splitting the flat and point is you reduce your cook time and gain more bark. Yeah that’s 2 advantages I know but here’s another, you can pull the flat before it dries out and chunk some point for burnt ends.

I don’t smoke large pieces anymore to save time and the results are better IMO. I like bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
Had the same issue. When I have such a piece which is not equally flat, I'm smoking it for approx. 2 h and finishing it off in the Dutch oven. IMHO, it tastes even better than made entirely in the smoker/kettle.