Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What causes the "faded black" kettles?  (Read 4353 times)

Cellar2ful

What causes the "faded black" kettles?
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »

This question came up on another thread and I thought this deserved a dedicated topic.  What do you think are the causes for "faded black" kettles? Although I have seen slight fading in other colors of Webers, none seem to deteriorate as badly as black kettles. Is it because people with colored kettles tended to take better care of them?  Is it exposure to sun? Exposure to heat from cooking?  Why is it you never see the interior of kettle faded? Maybe some input from some of the Statesman and more seasoned members.  I am just a "red shirt freshman" here.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: What causes the "faded black" kettles?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
Good topic @ Cellar2ful.  I am interested!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:23 AM »
Be prepared for a million responses!!!  This has been discussed/argued often. Many say "sun fade", but that doesn't explain why the fade is consistent, even in the shaded parts of the exterior.  I personally believe it's a combo of chemical makeup of pigment, kettle heat, & exposure to elements over long period of time. Might be why interiors stand up over time compared to exteriors. People do tend to take better care of color kettles, so they are covered/sheltered more often than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
Seems to be on mid 80's & earlier only

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
The fade on my A code I just gave away was a little lighter on the lid. I do think it's uncovered exposure to the sun and elements. I doubt Weber used a different enamel on the interior and it was still nice and black. If it was chemical makeup of the enamel I'd expect an even fade inside and out.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
Seems to be on mid 80's & earlier only

Let me complicate this then. Here is a 2001 (DA Code) 18" I just picked up.  Fading starting on the lid, no fade whatsoever on the bowl. I did ask the person I got it from if the bowl had been replaced. She said no.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »
I have this M code (1990) One-Touch Plus.
I find it interesting that the lid is faded some, but the bowl not so much.  I like the two-tone look.

Hard to tell exactly from the pic below, but it's there.  I believe it is due to sun exposure.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
I'll volunteer to start an experiment. This spring and summer I'll leave my black DE OTG out uncovered and see what happens.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

I'll volunteer to start an experiment. This spring and summer I'll leave my black DE OTG out uncovered and see what happens.

Haha, it's going to take longer than that. My ots has been sitting uncovered since 09 and still no fade. It's never been cleaned. I'll try to shine up a little spot and post a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
Here some pictures of my dz code that I bought new and has never been covered. I did a quick clean. I can possibly see the start of fade but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 01:08:26 PM »
I think its Sun/UV related as there are several kettles that have "tanlines" from tape being placed on the porcelain as it's exposed to the sun. A bowl may get reflected light on it if the ground is white, such as concrete. It's presumably less when the ground is not reflective such as dirt or grass. It seems like the late 70's kettles have this the worst- it's possible that the porcelain formulation or spray process changed resulting in different characteristics such as thickness, orange peel, heat/UV resistance, etc. The Weber black porcelain is DEEP so it aborbs lights very well. However, certain wavelengths of light can can change the color over time. This is all my own speculation.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
@pbe gummi bear- I never considered reflective UV nor the affect the surface a kettle is stored on has.  The kettle I posted a picture of with the faded lid and no fade bowl spent its 16 years outside on a wooden deck.  Might very well explain why the bowl has no fade as I believe wood absorbs rather than reflects UV's.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:35:46 PM by Cellar2ful »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
Yep. Wood, grass, blacktop would not reflect. Does anyone have an example of faded red or other color?

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
What is interesting to me about black fade is that it can be reversed or improved.  When I got the fleetwood last year, it had splotches and spots all over it.  I cleaned it all over with a sponge and apple cider vinegar per @1buckie, and then applied PAM.  A year later, the splotches are gone, and although the PAM treatment has worn off, it now has a beautiful, even patina.  I did a pork butt this weekend, and this is how it looked at 7am.  I've included the before pic below to show the transformation.

Before apple cider vinegar and PAM:

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
Does anyone have an example of faded red or other color?

The one on the left spent its life outdoors in the Santa Cruz area while the one on right was garage kept.