Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cedar Plank Salmon & Split Pea Soup  (Read 1448 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Cedar Plank Salmon & Split Pea Soup
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:57:13 AM »
We had really strange weather yesterday, beautiful sunny skies along with intermittent tempestuous conditions.  One moment it was raining cats and dogs and the next moment it was perfect weather for grilling.  Although I was hesitant to pull out the grills, I finally decided 'If it rains on my parade, then I'll parade through the rain.'

I didn't get many preparation pics, but wanted to share since I get my inspiration from y'all throughout the week. 

I made this split pea soup because it's National Soup Month, but to be honest, I also wanted to play with my new roti on an OTP.  I used Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning on the bird, and stuffed an onion, lemon, and rosemary in the cavity; I removed the bone from the ham and [poorly] trussed the meat back together to spin for a couple hours using almost a full chimney of KBB with apple chunks.  Removed and cooled while I put together an early dinner.
Earlier this week, @wessonJB made an awesome looking cedar plank salmon and I'd never done one, so that was the menu for Sunday dinner.  I trimmed off the fatty belly meat to get a consistent shape to my filet and used the belly meat to wrap asaparagus with S&P, lemon, and EVOO.  Also made smashed potatoes.  The small clay pot contains S&P, butter, diced garlic, onions, and mushrooms; I coat the potatoes with this mixture.  Also made skewered veggies, pretty self explanatory.
Here's a pic of the salmon after I charred the plank over direct, flipped over onto indirect, and placed the skinless filet down, seasoned only with S&P, lemons, and rosemary.  Oh, I folded the tail over to make sure the shape of the filet was generally uniform. 
Although not many pics of preparation, I did manage to remember to get a table pic.
After dinner, I turned my attention back to the soup which literally took all day.  Football was on, so I apologize I didn't get more pics.
After the ham and chicken cooled I cubed the ham and shredded the chicken.  I placed the chicken carcass along with the ham bone I originally removed into 5.5qt dutch oven and covered with cold water and placed back onto the grill for a couple hours.  While that reduced, I diced onions, celery, and onions.  I strained the stock through a chinois, added my veggies, bay leaf, and 16oz of dried split peas.  I also added a fist full of pearl barley.I let that simmer for about an hour before adding the cubed ham and shredded white meat back in.
Served with a crusty baguette and butter for dipping. This was the best version I've ever made and the family agreed.  The rotisserie ham/chicken stock was  really the star, and I made a mental note to use this combo again for chicken soup, chicken 'n dumplings, etc. 
Hope y'all had a great weekend, and thanks for looking. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:59:00 AM by Mr.CPHo »

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Cedar Plank Salmon & Split Pea Soup
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:05:53 AM »
Dang man! Nice looking spread, especially the salmon, looks delicious!

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »
Looks great man ! I need to step up my game lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
Everything looks awesome!!!! Great looking plates of food on the table and your soup looks like it turned out great!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:54 AM »
"Me.CPHo Killer spread man! So what did you think of the salmon wrapped asparagus? How do they cook when in a bigger bunch like that?

flyinpig14

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:14 AM »
Wow, looks great. Cedar planked salmon is my favorite.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »

"Me.CPHo Killer spread man! So what did you think of the salmon wrapped asparagus? How do they cook when in a bigger bunch like that?
Travis, I should have mentioned the asparagus bundle was wrapped in foil and then rolled around over direct for about 7-10min.  Wrapping with the belly fat was a last minute improvisation, original plan was to pull off the salmon skin, cut into 1" strips, and then wrap smaller bundles of asparagus with the strips of skin (like bacon wrapped asparagus).  Alas, when I went to prep the filet the skin had already been removed... and I hadn't thawed any bacon. 

I really really liked the cedar plank preparation for salmon.  Aside from imparting a distinct flavor, I love how evenly the whole filet cooked.  My one "lesson-learned" from this cook is to buy those damn planks online, the larger planks were pretty expensive. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
Thanks for the explanation man.
Here's a little for you for planks. I haven't pulled the trigger but have heard very good things.

http://www.grillingplanks.biz/products

flyinpig14

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
Any reason you couldn't use regular cedar wood as long as it hasn't been treated?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Any reason you couldn't use regular cedar wood as long as it hasn't been treated?
Sure wouldn't see why not.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
Once again, you have made me drool all over my keyboard.

Please go into a little detail about those smashed potatoes.  That looks like something I need to try.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »

Please go into a little detail about those smashed potatoes.  That looks like something I need to try.
I first saw @captjoe06 do these smashed potatoes and I'm glad he did!  They're awesome.   Stab the potatoes with a fork, par-cook in the microwave until they're no longer firm, smash flat, cook indirect, add whatever ingredients you like.  Super easy.  Thanks.

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
What a feast! Looks awesome!