Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sous Vide top sirloin  (Read 2114 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Sous Vide top sirloin
« on: January 21, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
I finally picked up my Anova sous vide. Went and bought some top sirloin steaks for its maiden run.... This thing is bigger than it looks. It feels solid! got my pot o water filled and machine warming up while I sealed the 2 steaks.. Into the water it went, temp dropped about a degree and a half and recovered pretty quick. Bluetooth is connected to my phone for monitoring... for tonight I'm going to sear these off in a cast iron skillet, next time I'll do it on the grill. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157679333125116/with/32409492386/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Sous Vide top sirloin
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:37:50 PM »
added more pics, This new toy is going to be fun... The steak was awesome!!  Would love to hear from those of you who have one and what you've cooked!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cygriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
I've been looking to buy that very one... Steaks look great.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:18:13 AM »
Man, that what's called bumper to bumper pink. Just perfect. Do you think there are any sacrifices of flavor from using the SV as compared to just doing it on the grill? What's your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
@Cygriller, do it! you'll love it.  @Travis, I think there will be some sacrifice because its just not cooked over an open flame, BUT, for maintaining juicy and flavorful meat, AWESOME! I finished it in a hot CI pan, and for me personally, I would like it a tad less pink. So with that in mind, my thinking is next time, sous vide the same way, get the grill HOT and cook to maybe 140, that way I get a little closer to med rare AND get some good smokey outdoorsy grill flavor and char...and hopefully keep the steak tender and juicy!  We'll see!

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
I've been thinking about an Anova, but I just really like the bit of smoke that you get from reverse sear on a kettle...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »
Nice cook!   I've found to get the most grilled/smoked flavor with a steak is to cook it to your final done temp in the sous vide, let it sit for 10-15 minutes too cool then sear it over as hot of a fire as you can get with the lid off.  Maybe 30-45 seconds a side.  Cast iron does a better job of getting an even crust but I think it takes away some of the grill flavor you are looking for. 

I've also found that with the temp being so accurate I like to sous vide my steaks a little more than I would when reverse searing.  138-140 is where I like to be with the sous vide. 

You should try some chicken!   I did some bone in chicken breast a few weeks ago.  Cooked them at 148 for two hours.  You can sear post sous vide to crisp up the skin.  I did that on one then pulled the skin off of the second one to use for salads.   It was some of the best chicken I've ever had. 

Here is a good link on doing chicken!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:34:50 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
I have the first gen Anova and LOVE it! (no Bluetooth) Got more details on your cook? Time, seasoning, water temp?
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
I just got my Gourmia GSV 150! Doing some striploins as we speak. I think I'm really going to like this thing.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
@mikerocksthered, that will be my next go, chicken.. right now it's at home "videing" a 5# bone in picnic shoulder, i started it yesterday morning at 9am...going for about 48 hours or so...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed, that will be my next go, chicken.. right now it's at home "videing" a 5# bone in picnic shoulder, i started it yesterday morning at 9am...going for about 48 hours or so...

Oh wow.  I'm interested to see that!  What temp are you running it?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »

@MikeRocksTheRed, that will be my next go, chicken.. right now it's at home "videing" a 5# bone in picnic shoulder, i started it yesterday morning at 9am...going for about 48 hours or so...

Oh wow.  I'm interested to see that!  What temp are you running it?

I have it set for 140, everything I read online made me feel that that temp was a good starting point... will update when done.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 02:29:16 AM »
My friend has the Anova Sous Vide  gizmo and said he paid $180 for it.  Kinja says that it's on sale for $95 and expect that price to be less than the Black Friday pricing.  I'm gonna give it a go-

http://amzn.to/2z43TdJ

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM