Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Tri Tip  (Read 2724 times)

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
First Tri Tip
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
Got my first tri tip cook in a day or so so I've got time to plan accordingly. Never even seen one in person before but ran across one tonight and had to get it. How does everyone here cook them?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Tri Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »
LOVE tri tip.... and I'm in the Midwest! We don't get it here. I have my butcher cut them. I remove the fat cap, season with s&p, fresh finely chopped rosemary, finely minced garlic and evoo. Cook using the reverse sear method. Set up the grill for indirect low heat, 275ish. Cooked indirect till 115-120 IT(personal preference) then pull and rest. While resting get the kettle screaming hot. Sear for a minute or so a side and serve piping hot.
Good luck and take pics however you roll with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
Rosemary is one of those herbs I always overlook or never think of. Finally got some and went grate on the chicken breast I grilled this weekend. I'll have to pick up some more.

Looking back at some post and some will marinade them. Would think with this smaller cut you would just leave the seasoning on it for a couple of hours while it comes up to room temp.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »

Rosemary is one of those herbs I always overlook or never think of. Finally got some and went grate on the chicken breast I grilled this weekend. I'll have to pick up some more.

Looking back at some post and some will marinade them. Would think with this smaller cut you would just leave the seasoning on it for a couple of hours while it comes up to room temp.

Rosemary is my go to on porkchops.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First Tri Tip
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Best way to find out is to try both ways. I season it as the coals are lighting and pit coming to temp. Maybe 30minutes or so. I like the natural flavor of beef so basic seasonings is how I go about it. All about personal preferences.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
Why is tri-tip not a mid-west thing? I'll have to go to a butcher and try one sometime. Do you guys just slice it in thin strips and serve?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
Glad you mentioned that, kettlebb. Slicing it against the grain is an important part. Just like a brisket, or flank steak. I wish they would carry it here. I guess it's just a western thing. At least we got pork steaks!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »
My sams club has had them. They might might always have it, but not sure??  I'll check next time and pick one up. I have been meaning to but just haven't done it. In my town, sams and Costco seem to have the best variety of meat poultry and seafood fresh.  I'll have to see if the other stores will take requests.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
I love cooking a tri-tip. Whenever my dad comes out from Connecticut, we need to buy a tri-tip and cook it. It's like when I go there and MUST have a Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »
LOVE tri tip.... and I'm in the Midwest! We don't get it here.

One of the Sam's near me had them regularly for about 2 months. Bought one or two every week, then they disappeared from the store a few weeks ago. They were selling them cheap, too… $4.99/lb. They always had very low stock, otherwise my deep freeze would be full…..
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »

I use this as my seasoning

Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »

One of the Sam's near me had them regularly for about 2 months. Bought one or two every week, then they disappeared from the store a few weeks ago. They were selling them cheap, too… $4.99/lb. They always had very low stock, otherwise my deep freeze would be full…..
I'll have to check out the Costco's next time I'm over that way.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

That sounds right. I'm pretty sure I didn't see it the last couple times I've been.

I haven't looked real hard at Costco yet. I'll check sometime this week.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »

I use this as my seasoning

I saw this on a post while searching and have never heard of it. I'll have to look it up.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 06:59:50 PM »
This is what my family has always used on steaks going back 20 something years. I've gotten away from it since usually making my own rubs and stuff now a days. Basically a meat tenderizer. Wonder if that stuff is close. Not going to use this for sure though. Just reminded me of it.

When are they going to make the tatonka dust again? Never got a chance to try it. Anyone in DFW have a light dusting to spare?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:53:20 AM by johncorvin »