Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 30lbs of pork on a kettle with a modified roti ring  (Read 1744 times)

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
30lbs of pork on a kettle with a modified roti ring
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:10:57 PM »
This thought has been in my mind for a while now and this weekend I was finally able to put it to the test.  I have been cooking two pork butts together on my kettle with a slow-n-sear with great results but I wanted to see if I could cook four at a time without springing for a stacker.  First I was thinking about getting a 55 gallon barrel to cut down and make a stacker but then I had the thought of modifying my existing rotisserie ring to hold a second grate. 

Modifying the roti ring was pretty easy: drill and install 4 screws/nuts to hold the grate and make block-offs for where the roti spit passes through.  I measured my kettle to get the depth below the rim that the grate tabs are positioned so I could match that height on the roti grate so I would have the same clearance available when the lid is on top.  Next I took string, wrapped it around to get the ring's circumference, divided that by 4 and marked the locations for the screws that would support the grate.  I drilled small holes and installed 4 sets of screw with nuts and then dropped in the grate to test the fit.  The inner diameter of the roti ring is smaller than the kettle so it is a bit snug but works just fine.  Next I made the spit block-offs.  The side with the motor was easy - two fender washers and a bolt/wingnut.  The other side with the U shaped opening took a bit more work.  I took a piece of sheet aluminum, cut it to size and then bent it into an L shape to match the lip on the roti ring, drilled a hole, added a single fender washer and a bolt/wingnut to attach it. 

Next order of business was extending the fuel chamber of the slow-n-sear.  On long low and slow cooks I tend to have to re-fuel several times and I wanted to minimize this if possible.  I took a piece of cardboard and mocked up a simple panel that would rest on the lower grate via a center notch and chamfered corners.  Once the cardboard fit well I transferred those dimensions to a piece of sheet metal and cut it to size.  I then setup the kettle with all the accessories together and all looked good and ready to cook.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
Re: 30lbs of pork on a kettle with a modified roti ring
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
Now for the real test: 30lbs of pork butt.  I loaded up the extended fuel chamber with lump and oak chunks, added water to the reservoir and then the rubbed and injected butts. 

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Since my Costco only had boneless pork buts I tied them up with twine to help right that wrong.  It works well at keeping them together and from drying out. 

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!

The upper grate does run hotter than the lower grate.  Next cook I will run the temperature controllers' pit probe on the upper grate and put the larger butts upstairs/smaller butts downstairs.  The fuel extender worked well too.  I could go much longer between refuels.  I ended up adding water more often than fuel - might need to come up with something there.  Overall I would say it worked quite well and I will definitely be using this setup in the future. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:40:40 PM »
Really neat idea. Well thought out. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:32:48 AM »
looks awesome great mod
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:28 AM »
Very useful mod, thanks for sharing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app