Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gyozas on a grill  (Read 1595 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Gyozas on a grill
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
I was feeling ambitious when deciding what to make for today's football snack food.  Although not your typical finger food, they're always a hit with the crowd.  The last time I made them was on Thanksgiving day as a snack before dinner.  Didn't post them back then because I wasn't happy with the texture of the filling; it was too dense.  This time I incorporated more veggies.

This is about 1.5lb ground pork, leek, carrots, garlic, ginger, shallot, white pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and two eggs. 
1 pack of wonton skins made 41 gyozas, AKA potstickers. https://vimeo.com/199566640Today I chose to use my blue 22" OTG midget setup with lump for medium high direct heat and a Le Creuset 3.75 qt braising pan.  Choosing a cast iron pan with a low lid will be important.After letting it pre-heat for several minutes, I coated the pan with a thin layer of oil.  And then added my gyozas in a spiral to utilize as much pan space and to facilitate easy removal...I left them to fry for a couple minutes, NO TOUCHING, and then added a small amount of water before immediately covering.The idea here is to add just enough water to steam the gyozas and to ensure the contents are cooked thoroughly.  Listening is the key to timing here, you'll hear the rapid sizzling of water slow as it steams away, and when there's no more water, the skins will release easily.  Place them bottoms up so the crispy bottoms don't become soggy.While starting the second batch, I tried one, fucking awesome.Better try another one.... just to make sure it's fucking awesome.Second batch finished.
Although the prep is a bit time consuming, gyozas are quite the crowd-pleaser.  Each gyoza has a steamed, chewy top, and a crispy bottom.  The contents are.... well.... whatever you chose it to be; think "meatloaf in a wonton skin". 

Thanks for looking and enjoy your day of football, fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Gyozas on a grill
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »
I need to move down there so I can try your food. Those look amazing!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
Such a tease. I can almost taste them from those pictures.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
I could kill that whole tray! Love me some potstickers!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:49:31 PM »
What a creative cook. Love your post bud. Very descriptive with lots of pics. I'll be putting this on the menu.
How long do these steam for, roughly? And did you cover the kettle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Love your cook post's.  So informative and inspiring.   They make me want to bust out of the comfort zone of things We do over and over again

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:58 AM »

What a creative cook. Love your post bud. Very descriptive with lots of pics. I'll be putting this on the menu.
How long do these steam for, roughly? And did you cover the kettle?

I'd say each batch takes around 5 minutes, remember the pan needs to be pretty hot before starting, so maybe 2.5 minutes frying with lid off, and another 2.5 steaming with lid on.  Depends on how much liquid you add.... really "listening" is the best indicator.  Did not cover the kettle at all. 
Thanks, Travis. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:53 AM »

Love your cook post's.  So informative and inspiring.   They make me want to bust out of the comfort zone of things We do over and over again

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thanks, Cap!  I guarantee you'll impress the family when you pull these off the grill. 
For me, I love the challenge of adapting unconventional recipes to the grill and expanding my repertoire. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 01:39:09 AM »

I need to move down there so I can try your food. Those look amazing!

C'mon down!  All my friends know if they show up to the house between 7-7:30 they'll get fed.

Also note the shorts and flip flops... love Florida winters.  [emoji41]

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
Outstanding!  You never fail to impress.  To bad I live so far away.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »
@Mr.CPHo awesome looking cook take me about 5 hours from Atlanta I'll PM ya when I am headed that way LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »

@Mr.CPHo awesome looking cook take me about 5 hours from Atlanta I'll PM ya when I am headed that way LOL
Thanks!
Love love love the Buford Highway Farmers market in ATL.  Anywhere else I should check out next time I drive thru?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
2 miles from the house shop there every week love it you also need to hit the Dekalb farmers market on ponce de leon huge huge huge every spice known to the world in there and cheap too!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
That is really impressive!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
If we ever decide to move to Florida I'll be looking you up. I bet your neighborhood knows when you are cooking. Looks great.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.