Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork shoulder and a day of "firsts"  (Read 702 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Pork shoulder and a day of "firsts"
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
So FINALLY, the rain has stopped and I have grilling plans dammit! I wanted a brisket but none to be had. So instead I bought a pork shoulder, well 2 actually, that's what was in the bag..LOL First time smoking pork shoulder. Another first is I went and bought some "Rub my butt" seasoning, Im a simple guy, usually throw together some "blend" of SPG and whatever else I feel like adding. First again is my coal method, didn't do a snake, usually set up minion in the WSM, after reading some posts here about putting lit on bottom as opposed to on top, I see possible issues with both so I decided to do what i'll call the "Infection Style", if there's not already a name for it, LOL, I piled coals into the ring but left a space to dump the lit coals and hoped it would migrate or Infect the rest of the coals as it went. The last "first" for me is i'm using a combination of apple and cherry chips for smoke, usually i use whatever I have on hand..But I want to start being more "deliberate" instead of "what i have on hand" with my grilling. As of right now it has been smokin' for 5 hours and 20 minutes... the WSM has been runnin' between 280 and 290 with little fluctuation, i'm impressed. the bottom shoulder is where i have my thermo and its at 178...C'MON BABY!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157675484068993/with/32271388176/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pork shoulder and a day of "firsts"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
That butt looks real good! I bet that ain't the first time you ever heard that!!! [emoji23]
The fire method, I'm a little confused. How "I read" you explain it sounded like the snake method. Am I wrong with that?? Regardless, nice lookin butt!!! [emoji6][emoji6]🤣🤣

I'm liking these smiley faces way too much lately.. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
updated pics  @Travis, there is is pic of a drawing showing what i meant... I filled the basket with unlit and chips, then dumped lit coals in the "opening" show. It worked, ran pretty steady for 7 1/2 hours. I would have liked more flavor, but all in all, I think it will make some good sammiches and some enchiladas!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157675484068993/with/31503301903/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »
I gotcha now. I'm a little slow. Hey, all good brother! I'd take one of them sammi's and enchiladas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk