Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Belly = BACON...Ideas??  (Read 1278 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Pork Belly = BACON...Ideas??
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Ok, I have seen the large slabs of this stuff at Costco. The price is good, but way too much (weight) to experiment with, or store. I just saw some smaller packages at my local Von's. I asked the butcher about it and it was a purchasing error. Anyway, I was thinking about grabbing a bit to try and make some bacon.

Any tips for smoking up a small amount, to see if it's worth doing in larger quantities?

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Belly = BACON...Ideas??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:33 PM »
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
Hey @Jason, I just did this last weekend.  I posted about it on another part of the site:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/makin'-bacon/

I would totally do it.  I've been eating homemade bacon all week.  We've been doing the Whole 30 diet again which puts sugar out of the equation, but I would definitely try the recipe @JDann24 suggested as Meathead hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

Finally, if you do like it, the Costco pork belly is an amazing deal, and if you like it, I'd get it from there in a heartbeat.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:45:21 AM »
Thanks for the links guys. I'll go back to that Von's and see if the have any that hasn't been sliced yet. All of the packs were 2.5lb-3.5lb and were anywhere from 1/4"-1" thick slices.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
dude just get the belly at costco

i promise, no bacon will go to waste