Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: kettlepizza disaster pizzas  (Read 6350 times)

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
kettlepizza disaster pizzas
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
Ok guys wife got me the kettlepizza for christmas,so new yrs.eve .few people over we try and make pizzas,store bought dough .my problems,so much went in the garbage,pizza was made on metal peel would not slide off ,tried the pan burnt edges like right.now.my peel.is so messed up .the wife is sick of trying to get it clean,seams like it is junk now.i see you guys do great with it.me it was very disappointed, can't really see doing this again.please if you have successfully done pizzas tell what iam doing wrong.hate to put a end to pizzas. Damn I should of went with steaks.thanks craig

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: kettlepizza disaster pizzas
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
That sucks with your first time doing this but don't get discouraged. It takes practice. I have some questions on what you did.

1. Did you let the store bought dough sit on the counter a couple hours before you started to work with it?  Also, did you take your dough out of the packaging and drop it in some flour then set it on a well floured counter or sheet pan or whatever, and covered for the appx 2 hours?

2. How did you stretch our dough? Hopefully not on the peel.

3. When you put the dough on the peel, did you pick the peel up and shake it to see it the dough slid easily?

4. Did you put a lot of topping on your pizza while on the peel? If overloaded, it's more difficult to launch

5. After putting the toppings on the pizza did you check to see if it still slides on the peel by shaking it?

6. Did you try and launch the pizza immediately after putting the toppings on? If not, you need to.

7. Did you dust or rub you peel with flour before putting the dough on it?

Ok, now that I'm done with my questions, this is how I do it?
I hand stretch my dough on a well floured surface, place the toppings on it, dust my metal peel (I rub flour on the surface with my hand), then I quickly slide the peel under the pizza and give it a quick shake to see if it still slides, then I launch it on to the stone.

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:01:36 AM »
Thanks nate, nope didn't let the dough sit,yep stretch a floured peel,never tried to see if it would slide until.it was to late,2 pizzas right in the garbage.i guess I needed to read I strucrions on the dough.lot of great points. I'll try it again.thanks craig. Oh and I let the pizza sit on the peel .

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
Get some wood peels.  Bed Bath and Beyond has a great bamboo peel for a reasonable price.  To make it slide dust the peel with cornmeal or I like to use semolina.  I only use my metal peel for getting pizzas out of the oven.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:31 AM »
Don't give up, @cwestsmokin!  On a side note, I try not to experiment when we have guests.  Only after I've nailed down the results consistently will I attempt for company and even then I get nervous. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
I thought heck it's just pizza,come on over.just when I had the wife thinking I new what I was doing (should of done rotisserie chicken )are aluminum peel has been soaking for 4 hrs. Trying to get it clean .not!  Alot of time and money.for me maybe it's just best to have pizza brought to the door .can't believe we might pitch this peel.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Don't give up, @cwestsmokin!  On a side note, I try not to experiment when we have guests.  Only after I've nailed down the results consistently will I attempt for company and even then I get nervous. 

+1

The first pancake always gets burnt. It takes a few more attempts to make the perfect pancake.

Bro...relax! Practice practice practice. Then tweek..and practice more. Don't expect to get it right the first time in any cook up. Your trying to tame fire and time.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
Thanks guys ,I asked so now I am going to get a wood peel and try again.i really do appreciate all the replies. I will try what you guys have said.its working for you so.try try again. Yep damn first pancake.lol

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »

+1

The first pancake always gets burnt. It takes a few more attempts to make the perfect pancake.

Bro...relax! Practice practice practice. Then tweek..and practice more. Don't expect to get it right the first time in any cook up. Your trying to tame fire and time.

@cwestsmokin That is good advice.  Keep plugging away.  I'm still learning and tweaking.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Just made some dough, Bobby flay.going to bed bath beyond to get a wood peel.going to try again today. My friends like all the pictures of the clubs pizzas.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
Can't wait to see a great lookin pie!

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
Thanks guys trying round 2. Can't load pictures either.pizza and pictures on this site give me problems.iam in a few car clubs ,for some reason I have no problem,but here.well just can't do it .usally righr7from my phone ,here.photobucket just 2 manythings

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »
I wouldn't pitch the metal peel just yet. No amount of soaking is gonna loosen up charred cheese and sauce. I would scrape it with something rigid. It's metal, it will be ok.

@Nate, great points man!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
Ok round 2 was a great success, thanks. Nate, davescprktl,  mr.cpho,  minigrillen,   travis, pbe gumming bear.  Thanks for helping me out,big difference. The peel is even clean,went and got a wood one wow with a little flour skid like crazy..thanks for sticking with me.iam stuffed!! Thanks again craig,,,,,,,,,     this club is great  A ++++++++

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »
Glad it worked out, my first attempt it came out half pizza and half calzone..lol it was a mess.

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.