Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: kettlepizza disaster pizzas  (Read 6353 times)

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
Re: kettlepizza disaster pizzas
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
thanks again guys , now been working on pics from photobucket, last hour, it just isnt going to work. the pizza was great, photobucket not so much. wish i could share my pics with you guys,

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
@cwestsmokin I'm glad you didn't give up and gave it another shot! Pretty satisfying when it all comes together. I'd be happy to help you get your pics up, if you like.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
@cwestsmokin are you copying the IMG Code? You have 4 options in Photobucket. Pick IMG code and paste it in your post. I love to see pics.

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/445/31199650624_5143ec381a_c.jpg[/img]]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/445/31199650624_5143ec381a_c.jpg[/img]]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/445/31199650624_5143ec381a_c.jpg[/img] ok hope it worked

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 06:16:28 PM »

ok hope it worked

Nice pizza and nice red head!

:)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:19:13 PM by Jason »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
Nice work, @cwestsmokin!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
Nice pie!  Perseverance pays off!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 05:44:29 AM »
Nice pie! It gets easier the more you cook. Practice, practice, practice and enjoy some yummy homemade pies.

Word of warning though. I see you have an aluminum foil covered grate which I think you are using as a ceiling. That can burn and fall on to your pizza if you have a rippin hot fire. I know this because I caught heavy duty foil on fire in my KP when I was experimenting with different ceilings.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 07:29:02 AM »
Nice!  Glad you got it nailed.  Like @Nate said, I tried foil at first and it melted. :|

For pizza sliding, I had the same problem at first, almost went nuts.  Now I use wooden peels with cornmeal... I also have a long spatula ... Before I load in the KP, I run the spatula underneath the pizza, then hold the spatula under rear of pizza as I remove the peel.  Works like a champ!

Except when the wife brought home some store dough and it ripped.  That was messy.

I know this is horrible, but after resting, I put the dough in the fridge... It's easier to roll and stays firm longer for transfer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Wow, this was a great read.  I'm glad you got it figured out.  Nates reply to you at the beginning of the thread had all kinds of good info.  You'll get better and better and better at it, then when you think you have it down 98% you will burn the crap out of a pie.  I usually make enough dough for two extra pizzas just in case this happens.  If I don't mess one up I send people home with some leftovers.

I've had problems before getting a pie onto my peel.  I usually stretch my dough then fold it into quarters transfer it to my wooden peel, unfold, then sauce and top.  Always lots of corn meal and some flour on the peel. 

If you can salvage your wooden peel I definitely would.  If your pizza is cooking faster on the bottom than the top you can pick it up with a metal peel then hold it as high in the grill as you can to get the top in the higher heat area while basically stopping the bottom from cooking.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »
Pizza screens will solve the peel issues.  Is there a reason not to use them ?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »

Not really.  You'd still have to build the pizza then get it onto the screen.  I don't see how you'd do that without a peel.  I guess you could build the pizza on wax paper or parchment paper the put it on the screen. 

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »

Not really.  You'd still have to build the pizza then get it onto the screen.  I don't see how you'd do that without a peel.  I guess you could build the pizza on wax paper or parchment paper the put it on the screen. 

Mike, I could have been doing everything wrong, but here was my process.    I started with a ball of dough from Trader Joes.    I threw some King Arthur flour onto my cutting board and started to work the dough.   I worked it by hand and also used a Coke can as a rolling pin.   I had a 14inch screen sitting right beside the cutting board.    As the dough took shape, I'd grab the screen and put it over the dough to check for size.   Dough too small, I worked it some more until it was the same size as the screen.  At that point, dough wasn't sticky, so I folded it in half, slid the screen underneath then opened the dough back up to cover the screen.   

I then spooned on some sauce and spread it out, layered it with cheese and toppings.  I picked up the screen with the pie on top and slid the whole thing onto the pizza stone in the KP.   During the cook, I used a pair of forks to spin the screen, which of course, rotated the pie.   When the pizza was done, I slid my metal peel under the screen and pulled the pie from the oven.   I slid the screen (and pie) off the peel and onto my cutting board.  I then slide the peel between the pie and the screen leaving the screen on the cutting board.     Next step was done different ways for no reason what so ever.  On some pizzas, I cut them right on the peel then slid the pie onto the metal pizza tray that came with my KP.   With others, I slid them off the peel onto the tray and cut them there.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »

Mike, I could have been doing everything wrong, but here was my process.    I started with a ball of dough from Trader Joes.    I threw some King Arthur flour onto my cutting board and started to work the dough.   I worked it by hand and also used a Coke can as a rolling pin.   I had a 14inch screen sitting right beside the cutting board.    As the dough took shape, I'd grab the screen and put it over the dough to check for size.   Dough too small, I worked it some more until it was the same size as the screen.  At that point, dough wasn't sticky, so I folded it in half, slid the screen underneath then opened the dough back up to cover the screen.   

I then spooned on some sauce and spread it out, layered it with cheese and toppings.  I picked up the screen with the pie on top and slid the whole thing onto the pizza stone in the KP.   During the cook, I used a pair of forks to spin the screen, which of course, rotated the pie.   When the pizza was done, I slid my metal peel under the screen and pulled the pie from the oven.   I slid the screen (and pie) off the peel and onto my cutting board.  I then slide the peel between the pie and the screen leaving the screen on the cutting board.     Next step was done different ways for no reason what so ever.  On some pizzas, I cut them right on the peel then slid the pie onto the metal pizza tray that came with my KP.   With others, I slid them off the peel onto the tray and cut them there.

That works!  I wasn't paying close enough attention and thought your post was from the original thread starter and was a question.  Your method absolutely would (and did) work just fine.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
Looks like you got it together. The wooden peel is essential!  I've gotten cussing mad trying to get pizzas to slide off a metal peel.   You can do it on a metal peel but you have to use about a pound of cornmeal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk