Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Sous Vide Cook - Prime Rib  (Read 2995 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
First Sous Vide Cook - Prime Rib
« on: December 26, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
My brother got me a sous vide contraption for Christmas and since I had a small prime rib to do up today it became an experiment.

I also got a couple sweet bottles of Scotch:

The steak was coated with a layer of good olive oil and some of my homemade beef rub for an hour or so before going on an 18 with a chunk of rum cask wood:

Temp on the smoke session was 200f lid vent and 155-165f grate:

I smoked it about an hour and twenty minutes:

Then vacuum sealed:

And cooked for 4 hours:

Ice bath for about 10 minutes:

A mix of Stubbs and Dragon's Breath lump piled high in baskets with a big gap between them to increase surface area:

This is how you get char:

Money shot:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: First Sous Vide Cook - Prime Rib
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
Looks great, thanks for sharing. So what's your verdict on the SV?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »
Dang that looks awesome.  Also interested to hear your thoughts on the SV.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
Looks great, thanks for sharing. So what's your verdict on the SV?

Well this is the first time I have used it.....

I can do a pretty damn good prime rib cook. Big pieces of beef and me have always gotten along. Normally I finish a prime rib at about 210-220f grate temp and get a very consistent cook. This cook however was my most consistent by a little bit. Smoke taste was a little less than normal but still fine. I took some to AcrossFromHoss and he said it was plenty.

AFH also got one of these machines for himself and his Mom for Christmas....the same brand. In fact he had tried to talk me into buying one for myself before Christmas.

My step daughter is here and the family has always loved my beef cooks. They do not like their beef overcooked. She ate her fill today and liked it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
Nice cook! Those are two very nice bottles of Scotch in my opinion. Way to go man.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 07:05:10 PM »
That looks pretty even all the way across. Looks good. I'll have a glass too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 02:04:50 AM »
Now that you have the "sous vide contraption" and used it, would you buy it again? I got one for Christmas but have not used it yet. Food looks great.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
Sometime in my 20's and after several beers at a wedding reception, someone gave me a Dixie cup full of scotch on the rocks. I've never touched scotch again.

Great looking cook.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 03:29:02 AM »
That looks perfect! I love my SV... been doing it for years! For Christmas, I did a huge bottom round roast (had to split it in half to get it in the vacuum bags). I cooked it at 134 for about 18 hours, then seared it on the kettle. Great sammies came from that!

One of the great things about SV cooking is that the product you are cooking is evenly done, end to end, no matter the thickness variation.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:32:59 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:26:37 AM »
Nice!  I just got a SV!  I've done 2 cooks with it and I'm feeling guilty how easy it is!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:00:29 AM »
I started out with a Sous Vide Supreme Water Oven. worked great, then one day it stopped working in the middle of a cook. Thankfully, I was present when it died. I had previously bought the Anova circulator, so I clamped it onto the Supreme, fired it up, and finished the cook. Works like a charm, and knock on wood, has not let me down.  I sent the Supreme back to the manufacturer, they repaired it (no cost), and it worked fine for a few months, then died again. I should have sent them a picture of the Anova clamped to it... :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Wow! Looks great @MrHoss
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
Go BIG!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »
Looks great!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 01:31:16 AM »
Looks about perfect.

I'm on the fence about it.  Some very accomplished chefs I know rave about them relentlessly but there's just something about the challenge about cooking with charcoal and meat probes.  It seems like the SV would take a lot of the fun out of it.   The other part (hush don't tell anyone) is that I like having the excuse that I need to go out of the house and chill by the pit with a beer because I need to tend the meat.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM